Help me choose please
Jan 13, 2012 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

RiDeC58

New Head-Fier
I am a relative newbie to the would of Head Fi and have just purchased a pair of HD-650s from another Head Fier.  I hope someday to venture into the world of Orthos and would love to save up my pennies to someday buy a pair of LCD-2s.  I am considering several amps now and would apprciate some guidance.  In hopes of not having to buy a new amp if/when I am fortunate enough to get the LCD-2s, I would like to get one now which will pair well with either set of Phones.  I am considering the following amps and would appreciate your insight: (Price Range <$600.00)

Woo Audio- WA-6
Dark Voice 337
Schiit Lyr
NuForce HDP
Maple Tree Audio Ear+ HD (if I can find a used one)

Other suggestions if I am way off base...

Thanks for your help and insights.

Jan 14, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #2 of 5
Bump
Can anyone help?  I know that much of the decision is personal pref., but I am really looking for guidance around which amp is most likely to pair well both both phones, rather than one or the other.

Thanks

Jan 15, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #4 of 5
You can get low cost single tube headphone amplfiers, sold on eBay, ships from China.
Prices start at $45, better ones start at $80, $120 for even better.

What source(s) are you going to be plugging your amplifier into?

Jan 15, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #5 of 5
I have a simple single-tube amp now.  I am looking to upgrade.  I have read many reviews etc.  I feel I am willing to spend up to about $600.  I have read multiple reviews and have identified the Amps I listed as possible choices.  My question is which of these Amps are likely to pair well with both the HD650 and a possible future LCD-2.  I wonder if anyone has any insight into this.

With regard to sources,  I will be feeding the Amp from the Tape Loop of my Stereo System Pre-Amp (Audible Illusions).  Only sources will be my SOTA Turntable and my Cambridge Audio CD Player--no iPods etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back