Help me choose...please
Oct 14, 2003 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Halide

100+ Head-Fier
I'm a beginner to "real" headphones, first of all. I have a nice M-audio sound card for my PC, and some Klipsch Promedia 5.1 speakers, which I love. But, I don't have anything portable.

I was considering the ER-6 headphones to go with an iPod. But, for only $100 more I can get the ER-4Ps, which would be the best portable combination, right? Does the Ipod output a clean enough source to benefit from the high-end model?

Also, I was considering a home setup: the Sennheiser HD 580s and a Meta 42 amplifier. If I got the Etymotics, I would just have to use those, since I'm on a budget.

I also don't know if I should get an iPod in the first place. This is another impulse buy I should think over. I could just get some Sennheiser HD 600s and a nice meta 42 amplifier and just forget about going portable. Of course, this is subjective.

Summary
Is going portable really worth it? Should I just get some nice home phones?
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit
OK, I've ordered the ER-4Ps, will try them soon.

Oct 14, 2003 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 13
I got an iPod a few months ago, I think its well worth the money.

I found this site shortly after and purchased some Koss KSC-35's ($35) They sounded sooo much better than the iPod stock phones.

Then I purchased Sennheiser PX200's ($45), they sound great but I still perfer the Koss.

Then I purchased ER-6's, listened for several days and was not happy. They didnt sound "full", so I ordered a Headroom Total Airhead amp. That made them sound better, but now I was in the price category of the ER4's. I returned the amp and the ER6's.

Now I have the ER4P's, They are AWESOME!! save yourself time and energy and just get the ER4's to begin with. Your going to end up with them sooner or later anyways if you spend any amount of time on this forum. You wont regret it.

Oct 14, 2003 at 4:13 PM Post #4 of 13
i don't know about the ety's because i don't own them yet...but i will once i get the money. i do have an ipod 10 gig, 2nd gen, and it really does have pretty good sound quality (as long as you keep them in wav). i believe the ipod is a little on the expensive side but if you need portability, it is good with space and sound quality.

i'll state right now that i have not heard the ety's but just noting all the praise here from them, i personally am thinking about getting a 4s and the 4p conversion for my ipod and for home use...its so god damn tempting.

i also own the 600 but i use it with the ra-1 and not the meta. many people will think this is crazy but i don't care, i like the sound. u can do a search on the 600 to see if it is what you want since its not for everybody.

back to the question. if it is a question of should you go with portability (as in the ipod and etys) or should you go home (meta or something else and senn), it is more a question of how much you are on the go i think. i can't speak for the etys but almost everyone that owns them rate them the top 5 of their stash and not everyone rates their 600's as their top 5 for the people who own them.

damn, i think i'm gonna work overtime tonight and get me some $270 earplugs...damn that headroom sale (i feel like an idiot for holding out)!

oh yeah, a while back, if i remember correctly, joe longwood who has many headphones and many amps listed the ipod/4p combo as second in sound in his whole stash...that says a lot when u consider it was second to only the hp-1.

Oct 14, 2003 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 13
Welcome to Head-Fi.

As for "is going portable worth it", doubt anyone else can help you on that. How is your day spent?

Related issues-
Been using 4P's straight from my first gen iPod for four days and they sound very nice. Been testing with portable and home amps and though the sound changes, in my case not enough to warrant carrying around an amp most of the time. If you're going that route maybe a 4S would be better.
I like my iPod a great deal. As for is it your best option, it depends on your needs (recording, size, space, etc.). Check the Portable Forum for information. Apple, iRiver, Creative, and now Rio have very nice HD based players. Thursday looks likely the release of the PC iTunes, so if you're considering the iPod you may watch for that.
If you're leaning towards a home setup, and haven't already, at least take a look at the Grado 225/RS1, the Sony CD3000, the Beyer DT880, etc. including the 600's (or 580's). These are all top phones that you may prefer over one another based on sonic and music preferences.

Good luck. Maybe if you told us more about your intended use we could be of more help.

Oct 14, 2003 at 4:21 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
Maybe if you told us more about your intended use we could be of more help.

Let's see... I listen to pop and electronic music mostly...so it should handle a great dynamic range with clarity

Oct 14, 2003 at 4:25 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by hop ham
if it is a question of should you go with portability (as in the ipod and etys) or should you go home (meta or something else and senn), it is more a question of how much you are on the go i think.

This is a tough decision, I know. I've never heard a good set of headphones, but I like my current speaker setup. I figure that if I bought the Etys then I could use them at home, at times where playing my speakers would be annoying, and use them with the iPod wherever I go.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2003 at 4:30 PM Post #9 of 13
Are you in portable use situations often?

Again I love my iPod (and sold a NJB for it), but there are less expensive quality players like the Zen. If you're in an either/or cash situation, you can go that route and still have enough money for a pair of Grado 225's, Senn 590's or 580's for home (the latter especially would definitely be helped by an amp though). Why not go both!

Oct 14, 2003 at 4:31 PM Post #10 of 13
that's true. if you think about it, you can definetly use the ety's at home and on the go, and that would save you the money of buying a home pair and a portable pair...and they are just as good as just about any bulky performer

i'm pretty sure u won't be dissapointed either way...have fun listening to your music all over again
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2003 at 4:31 PM Post #11 of 13
Thats similar music to what I listen to, The Ety's take a little getting used to since the bass is different in a very good way. The bass is still there its just more defined and not boomy at all.

Put it this way, as I'm typing I listening to Billy Joel's greatest hits for the first time through the Ety's. I heard this album hundreds of times, I've heard things on this album that I've never heard before. Just little things in the background.

Oct 14, 2003 at 4:35 PM Post #12 of 13
I'm still getting use to the fit of the Etys, but even some long term owners have indicated they may not be long period phones. If you're planning on listening at home for hours at a time, you may want another pair of cans too. I don't mean the Etys are fatiguing, I just mean they're not exactly comfortable. Take everything you've heard about initial Grado complaints and multiply it.

Oct 14, 2003 at 4:55 PM Post #13 of 13
Thanks for the recommendations.

I just ordered the ER-4Ps from ebay w/ overnight shipping. I MIGHT get the iPod, but I'll probably just test out the Etys on my sound card first...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back