Help me choose phones(listed) for Ipod Classic 120b
Mar 10, 2009 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Firefighter

Head-Fier
Hi,

I'll jump right to the subject. I have the following phones available to purchase, please offer no any other brands other than the ones I listed, since these brands are the only available ones where I live. Same brand different models are welcome. I may be using Fiio E5 with the classic but not sure for now, so please cosider direct heaphone-out for the headphones.

I am looking for "deep bass" and balaced treble. I usually listen to a lot of electric blues with some alternative rock occasionally.

Currently I am using my ipod classic 120gb with Sennheiser CX500s.

1- Grado SR125/ or 60/ sr 80 iwill be out of stock for 2 mnths
2- Creative Aurvana Live
3- Koss Pro3AA
4- Sennheiser EH 250

My price range is around 150USD

Thanks a lot, your opinions are worht to be taken into consideration.

Mar 15, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 19
I'm stunned by how many people tried to help.....sshhh...

I ended up buying the Grado SR80. I also bought FiioE5 to go with it. Sound OK. for now, but why does SR80 sounds like it has a blanket over them? I mean they do not sound crystal clear.....wonder why???

Mar 15, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #4 of 19
I tell ya brother I use a 120g Classic iPod(music loaded ALAC) with a Graham Slee Voyager portable amp to my SR80's and they sound really good. No blanky. If you buy music from iTunes make sure you use the highest bit-rate downloads. I recommend you go and buy either new or used CD's and load them manually into your iTunes using Apple Lossess(ALAC). Makes a difference. It's about the same price(for a used CD vs complete iTunes album) then you also have the actual CD for use in a better home system or whatever.

Also your LOD cable makes a difference. I use an ALO cable. The headphones need to burn in a bit also to smooth out and sound their best.

Mar 15, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tell ya brother I use a 120g Classic iPod(music loaded ALAC) with a Graham Slee Voyager portable amp to my SR80's and they sound really good. No blanky. If you buy music from iTunes make sure you use the highest bit-rate downloads. I recommend you go and buy either new or used CD's and load them manually into your iTunes using Apple Lossess(ALAC). Makes a difference. It's about the same price(for a used CD vs complete iTunes album) then you also have the actual CD for use in a better home system or whatever.

Also your LOD cable makes a difference. I use an ALO cable. The headphones need to burn in a bit also to smooth out and sound their best.

QFT, if it sounds blanket-esque, your source content is probably not all that great, especially with Grado's

and as far as "surprised at the number of people who helped", you've had a full week to reply to this thread again, instead of just blowing it off, so don't act like we're supposed to hunt you down and force you to learn
wink.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #6 of 19
Ok,ok hold your horses..
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, I mostly use my cds(converted to lossless) and 320kbps mp3s with my pod. I never buy stuff from iTunes. I think I'm trying to get used to cans, I've been using iem's. I' ll get used to the sound signature by time I suppose. Here's link to my LOD pic.

imgp0508wj3.jpg

Mar 15, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #8 of 19
Um, I have no idea. Many people complain about Grados being too forward. If its the SR80i's, with the Flat, cush pads, then you might consider quarter modding them.

But SR80i's (and Grados generally) have a relatively large frequency response peak in the upper midrange, which has the opposite effect of sounding like a blanket is over them. In fact, their forwardness and clarity is their biggest strength to me. They fall short of my AD700's and AH D1001's in every other regard.

Mar 16, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When did you get the SR80's?

Oh, I got them second hand, first owner has been using them for 4 months..
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #11 of 19
Cool. You still got the blanket over them? If so, maybe try a different LOD or try another amp if someone has one you can borrow. Do they sound blankety straight through the iPod w/no amp?

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #12 of 19
Well, ok couple more points I want to make before moving forward.

1- I have Sony NWZ-A828 player also, and will be testing my newly owned SR80 with it tonite and comeback with results, because I know for sure that my Sony sounds much much better than my ipod.

2- I found out that Fiio E5 while inrceases the Bass quite nicely, it significantly reduces the quality of the treble...is it me or does it really do that?

be back shortly after the experience with my Sony and SR80, with and without the E5

Thanks.

Mar 16, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #13 of 19
Allright folks here's a little update.

I Listened to my Grado SR80s with my Sony NWZ-A828, wouwww!!! what a huge difference. Sony really shines with this Grados. No more blanketed sounds like the ipod. I A/B'ed them side by side with the same setups(Fiio E5 and Grados with exactly the same songs) and believe me tthere is a huge difference. Ipod sounds too much middy( overhihgtened mids and vocals just kill the treble and bass)while Sony really shines with puncy bass and crystalclear trebles.
The difference to my ears is mainly because of Sony's manuel EQ and excellent bass increasing feature. Do not get me wrong though my classic sounds really good too but it really and desperately needs a manual EQ.

Now I can see many people rave about the Grados....thanks to my Sony...
jecklinsmile.gif

I mean how hard it is to implement a manuel EQ to ipods????
mad.gif

I'll be putting my rigs pictures to the appropriate forums soon.

Thanks to everybody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back