Help me choose on-ear. I've made a list !
Oct 8, 2015 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

HiCZoK

500+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone !
Another day, another topic. I've made a list this time. just need to choose something from it.
I am looking for something completely opposite to my Brainwavz Hm5, so that means warm/fun/bassy. I want to use it for games, movies and music. I mostly listen to electronic music, game soundtracks, some dubstep, deadmau5 etc etc. And some chiptune. All over the place. But no vocals.
I also want the headphone to be super comfy and non tiring on ear. So that's why I am choosing not to go huge over ear this time.
I also don;t care for remote etc as it will be mainly used in home. But if it's there and not interfering with e10k, then sure, ok.

Here is a summary of my more/less preferences.

1. Budget - about 80$
  2. Location - Poland
  3. Source - Fiio E10k
  4. Requirements for Isolation - don't matter. Already have super isolating HM5 for that.
  5. Preferred Type of Headphone - on ear.
  6. Preferred tonal balance - Warm and bassy for fun/games/movies.
  7. Past headphones - Creative Aurvana live!. Now own Brainwavz HM5.
  8. Preferred Music - games OST. chiptune, some stupid dubstep, daftpunk, deadmau5 etc. No vocals at all.

So here is a list I came up with so far:

-Sennheiser PX100 II
-Koss Porta Pro
-Ultrasone HFI 15G
-Sennheiser HD219
-Sennheiser HD229
-Sennheiser HD239
-Sennheiser PX90
-Sennheiser PX95
-Shure SRH 144E
-Shure SRH 145E
-MARSHALL Major II
-JAYS V-Jays
-Skullcandy NAVIGATOR
-Skullcandy Grind
-Koss SP330
-Noontec Zoro II HD
-URBANEARS HUMLAN

Ofc, I have my favorites from what I've read and by how they look and cost etc.
I am not listing which are those because I am hoping for honest opinion considering sq, price and Your own likings :)

Also - I promise - this is my last topic on this and I wont be bothering other parts of the forum anymore too !

Thanks for the advice.

Oct 9, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #3 of 7
I haven't tried the majority of what you've listed but the PX100 will be my favourite for the warm and bassy sound, with Portapro a close 2nd.

Oct 9, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #4 of 7
  I haven't tried the majority of what you've listed but the PX100 will be my favourite for the warm and bassy sound, with Portapro a close 2nd.

Thanks
for answer.

Since no one else was posting and I am about to get this item, this weekend I will go ahead and say that these 2 are also my main candidates.
I've read that px100 now have 90degree plug... which is not ideal as I prefer straigt plugs.

Skullcandy and koss sp330 also look good. Hope I will find them all in store and be able to compare them :)

Oct 9, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #5 of 7
I've briefly owned the portapro myself and I quite liked them, the only issue is that because they're pretty much fully open isolation isn't that great. When I had them, the metal on the headband tended to catch on to some of my hair.

From what I remember, bass was OK on them, midrange tended to be the main thing I heard though. In all honesty, for your type of music where there's no vocals they might not be the best in my opinion.

Oct 9, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #6 of 7
I have short hair and don't care for isolation (have hm5 for that) but noted !
Will check it out tomorrow in media markt or something. Not sure if they will have px100 too. i would like to compare the two

Oct 10, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #7 of 7
I've briefly owned the portapro myself and I quite liked them, the only issue is that because they're pretty much fully open isolation isn't that great. When I had them, the metal on the headband tended to catch on to some of my hair.

From what I remember, bass was OK on them, midrange tended to be the main thing I heard though. In all honesty, for your type of music where there's no vocals they might not be the best in my opinion.

Ive been comparing porta pro, px100-2 and plenty more.
And finally wnet with porta pro because of comfort. It looked otherwise but in reality portapro was a bit comfier than px100.

All in ale these 2 were some of best sounding in store.
Sq wise these 2 seems pretty much the same with px100 being maybe a bit more bassy but not much so comfort won. Portapro is still super bassy. I am so surprised.

Not unpacked my yet. Need to get home and have some time with it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back