Help me choose my next headphone (Arya, Clear, Verite, HD800s, x?)
Feb 1, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #16 of 69
I think I'll definitely sell the LCD-2C based on just the other headphones I own and their purpose, but I was leaning toward the Verite Open if anything. Any reason you recommend the closed?

Recommended the VC as you don't seem to have a closed headphone in your collection. And while your other headphones cover different timbre and tonality characteristics, the VC is a remarkably balanced headphone. The Verite Open is a phenomenal headphone, but the VC offers similar (and imho better) performance compared to it, all the while bringing you a different experience when compared to the rest of your open headphone collection.

The best thing to do tho is audition all your options. I'm just some dude on the internet, after all! Regardless of what sound advice I can offer, the best advice I can share is to have fun with it. You're about the make a rather large investment, so best to be happy with the choice, no matter what some rando on the forums tells you!

Feb 1, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #17 of 69
As much as I love the detail and purity of my clears, I'm actually very seriously thinking about selling them.

The deeply intimate presentation really seems to trigger my pre-existing tinnitus which makes them tough to keep on my head for extended periods of time, even at very low volumes. If you have a similar situation, I'd skip them for something spacier.

Its a shame, as they truly are a great piece of gear, and I think they sound great on every genre of music. After owning them for the last few months I heartily recommend them.

Feb 2, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #18 of 69
I’m actually in the same boat as you, minus HD800 and including other ZMF options and I’m leaning Clear. One added benefit of them is how easy they are to drive. I also just love the Focal look and design.

Feb 2, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #19 of 69
I prefer Clear to HD800S. More bass and dynamics but smaller soundstage. I prefer both to the Arya which is like a Clear but with less dynamics. I haven't directly compared the Verite, but the open sounded much better than the closed.

Feb 3, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #20 of 69
You are IMO missing two important choices.

HFM HE-6sev2 at $699 punches way higher, better than Arya IMO.

Dan Clark: E2 best bass at its price or under. Relaxed in treble unless you use EQ,

It looks like you like it bright. I'm just trying to give ideas more up the neutral lane.

I actually don't like it bright. I use EQ and the beyers the dekoni pads do a good job and reducing that peak. ill check those options out but based on what i've heard they just didn't appeal to me. ill give a further look though

Have you considered buying used? If you have patience and are a little lucky, you could perhaps find a pair of headphones a level or two above the ones you mentioned. I’m thinking you could be at Focal Utopias or Meze Empyreans for the same price as the Verites (maybe even cheaper).

i typically like to buy new. the meze empys seem appealing though thats for sure!

The LCD-X and the HD800S are world's apart.
The Arya and the HD800S are sonically polarized. Ying & Yang
Im not a fan of the "Beyer". Treble sound.

Id suggest the 1.) GL2000 or. 2.) the Kennerton LSA-HP1

But on the other hand, if you can swing it, get a set of Pre-Owned Empyreans as these play better with all genres` vs the Verite..... imho.

ya ill consider the empys but they are pricey.

Recommended the VC as you don't seem to have a closed headphone in your collection. And while your other headphones cover different timbre and tonality characteristics, the VC is a remarkably balanced headphone. The Verite Open is a phenomenal headphone, but the VC offers similar (and imho better) performance compared to it, all the while bringing you a different experience when compared to the rest of your open headphone collection.

The best thing to do tho is audition all your options. I'm just some dude on the internet, after all! Regardless of what sound advice I can offer, the best advice I can share is to have fun with it. You're about the make a rather large investment, so best to be happy with the choice, no matter what some rando on the forums tells you!

i just have no reason to get a closed back headphone and i tend to prefer the way open sounds and feels. id fo with the VO for sure if i did go that route. i do have XM4's, travel is the only reason id ever buy a closed back or for trackng/recording which i don't do anymore so.

As much as I love the detail and purity of my clears, I'm actually very seriously thinking about selling them.

The deeply intimate presentation really seems to trigger my pre-existing tinnitus which makes them tough to keep on my head for extended periods of time, even at very low volumes. If you have a similar situation, I'd skip them for something spacier.

Its a shame, as they truly are a great piece of gear, and I think they sound great on every genre of music. After owning them for the last few months I heartily recommend them.

I can understand that i actually get that same thing from certain headphones as well so im glad you mentioned that. with that said im leaning towards the arya as i really want a nice balanced headphone with a grand soundstage and that seems to fit the bill. unless i could swing a pair of meze empys

I’m actually in the same boat as you, minus HD800 and including other ZMF options and I’m leaning Clear. One added benefit of them is how easy they are to drive. I also just love the Focal look and design.

yeah focals build quality is excellent! i really can't makeup my mind here :frowning2:

I prefer Clear to HD800S. More bass and dynamics but smaller soundstage. I prefer both to the Arya which is like a Clear but with less dynamics. I haven't directly compared the Verite, but the open sounded much better than the closed.

yeah VO would be my only consideration for the Verite. The Arya has a much larger soundstage than the Clears though I do know that or at least literally everyone says it so it has to be fairly true.

Right now I'm really still between the Clears, Arya, with the Verite and Meze Empy's as a consideration but a little more than I want to spend.

Feb 3, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #21 of 69
I think you should also be considering the Audio Technica ADX5000, it competes with the HD800S but from my listening experience the ADX5000 has better sub bass extension and bass impact and also slighly better for vocals with emphasis on upper mid range.

If comfort is important to you, the ADX5000 is the lightest TOTL headphone that I know of weighing only 270g.

Feb 3, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #22 of 69
I think you should also be considering the Audio Technica ADX5000, it competes with the HD800S but from my listening experience the ADX5000 has better sub bass extension and bass impact and also slighly better for vocals with emphasis on upper mid range.

If comfort is important to you, the ADX5000 is the lightest TOTL headphone that I know of weighing only 270g.

Interesting I've seen this headphone but honestly forgot about it and never considered it. I'll give it a deeper look. it actually does appear to be super comfortable. does it do anything class-leading? hows the soundstage> And how does it compete with the HD800s? Are you referring to detail retrieval or soundstage. when you say competes with the hd800s those are the two things that come to mind...as well as just being a very competent headphone all around, the only downsides to the hd800s is the treble peaks can be a bit fatiguing, the bass extension and quantity is lacking, and lastly the dynamics and or punch is sub-par compared to other flagships leading to a slightly anemic but clean sound headphone, but the drivers have super low distortion so EQ is a good fix. How do the AT'scompare with all that in mind? and how is the distortion therefore eqability?

Feb 3, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #23 of 69
does it do anything class-leading? hows the soundstage> And how does it compete with the HD800s? Are you referring to detail retrieval or soundstage.

Soundstage the HD800S is better i.e. wider/deeper, the ADX5000 is a more intimate headphone in comparison. Detail retrieval and imaging I would say they are about on par with each other. If you are treble sensitive, then probably stay away from the ADX5000 as it is even slightly brighter than the HD800S I think. I would say the ADX5000 is not really class leading in anything, but does extremely well in most categories.

From my short listening experience, my main take away from the ADX5000 is that is has better sub bass and bit more intimate presentation overall compared to the HD800S.

But take what I say with a grain of salt as I only had a short audition of the ADX5000 and currently own a HD800S which I love.

Maybe check out the ADX5000 thread to ask long term owners their opinion.

Feb 3, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #24 of 69
Soundstage the HD800S is better i.e. wider/deeper, the ADX5000 is a more intimate headphone in comparison. Detail retrieval and imaging I would say they are about on par with each other. If you are treble sensitive, then probably stay away from the ADX5000 as it is even slightly brighter than the HD800S I think. I would say the ADX5000 is not really class leading in anything, but does extremely well in most categories.

From my short listening experience, my main take away from the ADX5000 is that is has better sub bass and bit more intimate presentation overall compared to the HD800S.

But take what I say with a grain of salt as I only had a short audition of the ADX5000 and currently own a HD800S which I love.

Maybe check out the ADX5000 thread to ask long term owners their opinion.

thanks for your reply, with that said I’m very close to biting the bullet on the Arya and if I don’t like it I may return it for a different pair.

Feb 3, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #25 of 69
If you’re treble sensitive and your amp is not able to get most out of ADX5000, then I would stay clear. These are fantastic headphones if resolution, air, detail, analytical qualities appeal to you. They do not lie and will reveal flaws in your system and recordings. It’s a microscope. Lol. I prefer it over 800s for already mentioned characteristics. Bass and more forward/intimate midrange, life-like (you’re there) performance. But that’s just me. I would go (if I were you) with a safer choice as these headphones are for people with specific taste/preferences.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #26 of 69
I actually don't like it bright. I use EQ and the beyers the dekoni pads do a good job and reducing that peak. ill check those options out but based on what i've heard they just didn't appeal to me. ill give a further look though
Right now I'm really still between the Clears, Arya, with the Verite and Meze Empy's as a consideration but a little more than I want to spend.

Emps are the best on that list - but not perfect, they meld massed instruments like violins, the bass is a little soft - which might be fixable with dynamat. I like Clears and Arya quite a bit. Verite seem a bit colored in comparison, and a bit over priced.

What things have you heard about the HE-6se and E2? At the temporary low price of $699 the HE-6se beats everything on the list in terms of value. The only flaw (besides not being a Susvara) of the E2 is needing some HF EQ, but you seem comfortable with that.

Feb 3, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #27 of 69
Arya nice - needs some EQ. But there are a few here that will tell you the HE-6sev1 is better overall, and according to some (I haven't heard it) the current HE-6sev2 has a much better sound stage than v1 - which IMO is the weak point. Bear in mind in the HFM list price universe the 6se goes for $300 more than the Arya. But at the ridiculous price of $699...

Feb 3, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #28 of 69
If you’re treble sensitive and your amp is not able to get most out of ADX5000, then I would stay clear. These are fantastic headphones if resolution, air, detail, analytical qualities appeal to you. They do not lie and will reveal flaws in your system and recordings. It’s a microscope. Lol. I prefer it over 800s for already mentioned characteristics. Bass and more forward/intimate midrange, life-like (you’re there) performance. But that’s just me. I would go (if I were you) with a safer choice as these headphones are for people with specific taste/preferences.

that's a really good description. yeah im definitely leaning away from 800s but it's just such a legendary headphone you can't ignore it and i take it the ADX5000 is similar but probably not something I'd want to keep long term by the sounds of it.

Emps are the best on that list - but not perfect, they meld massed instruments like violins, the bass is a little soft - which might be fixable with dynamat. I like Clears and Arya quite a bit. Verite seem a bit colored in comparison, and a bit over priced.

What things have you heard about the HE-6se and E2? At the temporary low price of $699 the HE-6se beats everything on the list in terms of value. The only flaw (besides not being a Susvara) of the E2 is needing some HF EQ, but you seem comfortable with that.

i've heard the ether 2's have just a wonky sound to them and super dry sounding, like no wow factor, and perhaps a tad artificial. I have also heard many hifiman sound a tad artificial but they offer the wow factor in the soundstage, grandness, and overall well roundedness. i just have not heard such positive reviews of the ether 2 and it's more pricey. build looks cool though and low weight! and i think if i go hifiman I will go Arya it just seems to sound the most appealing to me for the price.

Arya nice - needs some EQ. But there are a few here that will tell you the HE-6sev1 is better overall, and according to some (I haven't heard it) the current HE-6sev2 has a much better sound stage than v1 - which IMO is the weak point. Bear in mind in the HFM list price universe the 6se goes for $300 more than the Arya. But at the ridiculous price of $699...

i see the he6se v2 going for 1799 and the arya for 1599. i like the formfactor of the arya better i think. also the soundstage is one of the main reasons im considering the arya. i have not heard much about the he6se v2 outside it's a good headphone but just never caught my attention ill give it another look.

Feb 3, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #29 of 69
IMO while the Arya might not win best of in any category, they get high marks in the most categories which makes them a great all around headphone, but I agree auditioning is your best bet.

Feb 3, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #30 of 69
that's a really good description. yeah im definitely leaning away from 800s but it's just such a legendary headphone you can't ignore it and i take it the ADX5000 is similar but probably not something I'd want to keep long term by the sounds of it.
To me, when I auditioned ADX5K and 800s side by side, AT seemed like better rounded headphone. And amp pairing is everything. Even DAC choice can make it or break it. So anyone not ready for such commitment, I would say leave it and let someone who is into detail/analytical/live sound deal with it. (Like me lol)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back