Help me choose headphones.
Dec 7, 2011 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Bynming

Head-Fier
Hello guys, so this is my first post! I recently had the chance of trying on some Sennheiser HD650 and I absolutely LOVED it. I currently own a Steelseries Siberia v2 headset and an Auzentech Bravura and I decided that getting a new sound setup would be my next big purchase, so that's quite the jump.

However, I'm not an enthusiast: I can appreciate good sound, but I can't explain why - in the same way that I can enjoy good wine but I won't have anything to say about its aroma or its complexity. Also, even though I tried to educate myself about the technology before posting here, it's still pretty fuzzy for me. I know what DACs and Amps are, but I don't know what makes one better than another or which equipment to get to go with which headphones, for instance. Same deal with voltage and impedance, I only understand the concept vaguely although it has been explained to me. Concretely, I don't know how to go about it.

That being said, my budget is around $400 to $700 and the headphones would be used largely for music and gaming. (Music is very varied: electronic, metal, classical, really all kinds of stuff)

I was thinking about getting the HD650 because I liked them, but they're $360 on amazon.com and $500+ on amazon.ca (I'm from Canada), so that's kind of rough.

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions (headphones, other equipment to go with them, should I use my Auzentech Bravura at all?)

Oh and lastly, I notice that warranty on most headphones is 1 year which is pretty short, especially if I'm paying $400+ for them. Is the price of getting them repaired generally pretty reasonable?

Thanks!

Dec 7, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #2 of 9
Have you considered a dif. sennheiser model, such as the HD598's? they are really good when it comes to gaming, slightly better than my pc350's (yes, i should upgrade soon)

Dec 7, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #3 of 9
I haven't considered many things so far, given my very limited experience with headphones. The HD650 impressed me because of how great they sound, and admittedly I really like their appearance too. If I can get them in Canada at a decent price, I think it might be good for me.

As for the HD598, they might be a good option as well, though I don't really know the differences. Once again though they seem to be so much more expensive in Canada, it's kind of crazy. Cheapest I can find is $262 here vs. $200 in the US and the currencies almost trade 1:1. Definitely a possibility though, if they compare to the HD650 anyway.

Dec 7, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #4 of 9
I don't own the 650's but an aspect i like about the 598's is that they are more forgiving with weak sources..more easy to drive than the 650's. 
The 650's will need something more powerful than your current soundcard. 

I think you really need to try more headphones. 

Dec 7, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #5 of 9
I don't really have any means to try more headphones, I don't know anybody with good ones or any place that lets customers try them on, at least not locally.

Also, what would be sufficient to drive HD650's?

Dec 7, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #6 of 9
Hey there, I would not power the HD650 with anything less than a Fiio E9. You can obviously do better (up to thousands of $$$), but not much will beat the E9 in beefiness at its price range. The HD650 is a wonderful headphone that is very competent in gaming, but it shines the most in music playback. If you were to game just as much or more than listen to music, I would recommend the HD598. It is very well-rounded and is among the best gaming headphones while being superb for playing music. No amp requirement is also nice. It doesn't have the same magic in music playback that the HD650 does (at least IMO), but it is one of the best sounding versatile phones in its class. 

Dec 7, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #7 of 9
Cool cool, taking notes. Just so I understand the mechanics of it, the Fiio E9 would be connected to my PC via USB, bypassing my sound card entirely, correct? 

Just for the reference, I understand that the HD650 need more "juice"' but would there be an advantage to having an amp with the HD598?

Dec 7, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #8 of 9
Yes, the HD598 would most definitely improve with good amping, but it wouldn't be as much of a night and day difference like it would be for the HD650. Unamped, the HD650 doesn't necessarily sound bad, but they need a decent amp to sound the way they were designed to sound.

Dec 7, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #9 of 9
Alright thanks a lot, I'll keep looking into it. I still would greatly appreciate any kind of advice. (other good models around the same pricepoint or how to buy headphones in Canada without being gouged ^^)

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back