help me choose comfortable closed headphones for long listening sessions <200$
Oct 7, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #16 of 25
Oct 7, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #17 of 25

Which of those fit WS99? By the way I was googling WS99 velour ear pads and found your post here on head fi talking about WS99

Perhaps it's the clamping pressure, but it my ears hurt after 30 min, which is alright i guess because before, they would hurt in 15-20 before.

I'm really interested in those hifiman pads!

I am looking for headphones I could wear for hours and based on this post it doesnt seems like WS99 are for me. What did change since the time you wrote this?

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #19 of 25
Ok guys thank you all for your help so just to sum it up it looks like I have 3 options:

1. get Xonar DG sound card + Samson SR-950 or Gemini HSR-1000
2. get amp + Beyerdynamic DT770
3. get Logitech UE 6000 or ATH WS99

I know I should buy sound card in every possible scenario since my onboard card will be always problem. I just consider buying sound card together with either samson or gemini because they are cheap. And they both have velour ear pads which I think I would love since I stress so much about comfort.

Beyerdynamic DT770 was the headphones I felt in love with after I read few reviews, but I would have to buy amp and that still wouldnt solve my problem with crap sound source. Maybe one day Beyer, maybe one day :)

Third option is the one I am still considering because I like both headphones and from time to time I will be using my headphones with notebook and I love the fact they do not require amp. But there is still problem with my sound card and because I am looking mainly for comfortable headphones to use at home I think ill go with sound card + velour pads aka first option

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong at something, I am new to sound cards, amplifiers and good headphones. All I have experience with is crap gaming headphones hurting my ears. Also if you can recommend some other headphones with velour pads I should look for, please do so.

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #20 of 25
  Hello I am creating this thread after trying to find out which headphones to buy on my own but after few days I just gave up. There is too many options and I dont have enough knowledge on this matter to be able to decide on my own so I kindly ask you for a helping hand. Since I have some basic criteria that I want my new headphones to meet, I believe someone could be able to help me.

So what I want from my new headphones:

- closed (girlfriend sleeping every night in the same room and I really love listening to music at night)
- over ear (no on ear suggestions please)
- 100$ - 200$ budget - looking for best value for the money
- COMFORTABLE - I had to caps lock this since I currently own a pair of SteelSeries Siberia v2 which are very uncomfortable during longer listening sessions

The headphones I am considering so far:

Shure SRH 440
Shure SRH 840
Audio-Technica ATH-M50

I was already decided for ath-m50 but then I read about them that they are uncomfortable during longer listening sessions and as I already tryed to explain, thats exactly what I want my new headphones to be able to do so comfort is something I really put a big marker on since I want to be able to wear them for hours without hurting my ears.

Please provide me with your feedback and help me decide which headphones would fit my needs. As far as the genres goes I listen to rap, dnb, dubstep. Thank you very much for your help, every feedback is appreciated.

I had the SRH440's and have the 840's.
Get the 840's used on Amazon, they are just like the 440's but they are more detailed, bassier, highs are nowhere near as harsh as the 440s, and  they are much more comfortable.

To be more precise, the SRH 840's have a more forward, fuller, and detailed mid range.

The 440's aren't bad. They are just a cold version of the warmer more pleasant 840's.

You can find thee 840's used for around $160 on Amazon. That's how I got mine, and they came in like new.

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #21 of 25
  Ok guys thank you all for your help so just to sum it up it looks like I have 3 options:

I just realized the Gemini HSR-1000 comes with soft leather ear pads, not Velour.
Still fairly comfortable.

Oct 8, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #22 of 25

2. get amp + Beyerdynamic DT770
3. get Logitech UE 6000 or ATH WS99

I know I should buy sound card in every possible scenario since my onboard card will be always problem. I just consider buying sound card together with either samson or gemini because they are cheap. And they both have velour ear pads which I think I would love since I stress so much about comfort.

Beyerdynamic DT770 was the headphones I felt in love with after I read few reviews, but I would have to buy amp and that still wouldnt solve my problem with crap sound source. Maybe one day Beyer, maybe one day :)

Third option is the one I am still considering because I like both headphones and from time to time I will be using my headphones with notebook and I love the fact they do not require amp. But there is still problem with my sound card and because I am looking mainly for comfortable headphones to use at home I think ill go with sound card + velour pads aka first option

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong at something, I am new to sound cards, amplifiers and good headphones. All I have experience with is crap gaming headphones hurting my ears. Also if you can recommend some other headphones with velour pads I should look for, please do so.

Someone is selling the Gemini's for $50.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/680276/gemini-hsr-1000-takstar-pro-80

Oct 8, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #23 of 25
Oct 8, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #24 of 25
  Yea. some one is selling a used HSR-1000 for the same price you can get a new HSR-1000 off eBay.

Ebay scares me. I just don't trust it for headphones. Especially if they are brand new at such a low price.

But that's me.

Oct 8, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #25 of 25

Ebay scares me. I just don't trust it for headphones. Especially if they are brand new at such a low price.

But that's me.

I'm sure there are those trying to sell fake Sonys, Beyers, Senn, Etc.
But who would bother try to fake $50 no-name headphones, as a Ferengi would say, "There is no profit in it".
As long as the seller has a lot of positive feedback, I would think it would be ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back