Help me choose between the 6 headphones (or suggest a different pair that might be better for me)
Dec 13, 2011 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

joeylw

Head-Fier
Creative Aurvana Live! 
Sony MDR-V6 
Denon DN-HP700 
Ultrasone HFI-450 
Shure SRH440 
Sennheiser HD228 Pro 

That's my list in order so far. The V-Modas are $120, but they have the mic/controls so that gives them added value to me. I was set on buying a pair of Grado SR-80i, but after using them for a few hours I realized them being open and everyone hearing my music in what is supposed to be a quiet environment was a deal breaker.

My needs:
Have to be somewhat quiet to those around me
Can't require amp (will be used mostly with iPhone)
Under $100, or under $130 with mic/volume control
Decently comfortable to wear for extended periods

My music in order from most to least:
Alternative/classic/hard rock
metal
pop
rap
country
other

Pant help is greatly appreciated.

*EDIT* now down to five because the V-Moda Crossfade LP, was eliminated

*EDIT 2* The Creative Aurvana have taken the lead due to your recommendations......and I kinda like the look of them. What can I say, I'm shallow!

Keep the info coming. You guys have helped me already avoid what probably would have been a mistake with the V-Moda Crossfade LP.

Dec 13, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #2 of 5
[size=10pt]I would remove the V-Moda Crossfade LP and add the V-Moda M80 or V80.  The LP and LP2 are terrible sounding.  The M80 and V80 floored me when I first heard them and they are built like tanks.  Yes, they ear-pad headphones, but they are super comfortable and I had no problems wearing them for hours.[/size]

[size=10pt]For budget you cannot go wrong with the Creative Aurvana Live!.[/size]

[size=10pt]If you want something with a little more substance the HiFi 580 is another great sounding headphone that is talked about with good praise.[/size]

[size=10pt]Due to your budget constraints the Creative Aurvana Live or Audio Technica ATH-M50 will serve you best.  Both sound great for the price and are arguably the best $100 and under headphones.[/size]

Dec 13, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the info. So my #1 seed is knocked out early because, well it sucks. Sad to remove it from my list. It had the mic/volume controls and actually looked pretty cool, but if the sound quality isn't in the same league as the others on the list it has to go.

The other headphones you mentioned are all at $150 or higher, so my list is still at 5. 

Dec 13, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #4 of 5
I suggest the Creative Aurvana Live! . It sometimes drops into the $60-70 range and should be a superior headphone to all of the ones you listed. To make a firm suggestion on that, though, I need to know what type of music and such you listen to. 

Dec 16, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #5 of 5
I tried the Creative Aurvana Live for about three hours yesterday (amazingly I know someone who bought a pair awhile back and he let me borrow them) and they definitely sound good. They are pretty much what I was looking for in a "starter pair" of headphones audio-wise.

Now here comes the part where I get nit-picky. The CAL! sound really good, but some technical things and something not technical at all are keeping me from pressing the "add to cart" button on Amazon. 

I don't like the cord. It's non-detachable and it splits and goes to both ears instead of going on one side. The cord going to both sides of my head makes me feel constricted when I turn my head, and that reminds me of the feeling of earbuds and inner-ears I am trying to get away from. My only other problems I have with the CAL! is they look and feel somewhat cheap and unappealing. I'm not expecting Beats level style for $100, but I wish the CAL! at least looked as good as some of Sennheiser's sub-$100 headphones.

If I upped my spending limit to under $150 would e a that make me able to afford any better looking on-ear or over-the -ear headphones in the same range or better than the CAL! (or better) audio-wise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back