Help me choose AMP for Bookshelf Polk RTi4
Nov 25, 2012 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

pjpark

New Head-Fier
Just bought Polk Audio RTi4 because I wanted some real speakers for my computer and it was on sale at frys.
here are the specs:

Electrical

Total Frequency Response 50Hz-27kHz 
Upper -3dB Limit 26kHz 
Lower -3dB Limit 60Hz 
Nominal Impedance 8 ohm
Efficiency 89 dB
Recommended Amplifier Power 20-125 watts per channel
Inputs Dual (bi-amp) gold plated 5-way binding posts 

Please recommend me an amp.  Max budget $150, cheaper the better but I want it to be reliable.  I was looking at alot of t-amps but I am very hesitant to use them.  alot of them are like 15-25 watt per channel at 4 ohms or something like that? so would that be half the power at 8 ohms? I don't want to under power my speakers and fry them.  Please let me know, I am very noob

EDIT I bought a used Pioneer A-35R

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #2 of 2
what type of music do you listen to? 

I personally use a sure electronics 4x 100w Tripath for my RTI4's its not exactly the most bass heavy amp out there but its quite small and if you wish to bi-amp it is possible to do quite easily. The amp is about 60 bucks at parts express though if your desk happens to be metal its just an open PCB board so you'll need to build a proper case or it will short. There are better tripath amps out there for under 150 though. IMO 41Hz audio makes good stuff at pretty decent prices.

if you don't care about size and are okay to deal with craigslist or eBay there are loads of vintage amps with surprising sonic quality out there which will have a warmer more laid back sound. i say this because with the tripath, the RTI's can become very fatiguing giving you a headache if not EQ'd correctly.

happy hunting 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back