Help me choose a top-tier IEM. Unique Melody, JH Audio, Ultimate ears
Dec 21, 2011 at 10:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jdebonth

New Head-Fier
Dear head-fi community,

My first post here.

I am looking for my first and last pair of custom IEMs that I will enjoy for the next 5+ years. Cost or manufacturer location are not constraints.

Unfortunately I do not have the opportunity to listen and will rely purely on your experience and advice, then purchase and enjoy without looking back.

I listen to all kinds of genre's but mainly abstract/experimental electronic music, ambient, modern classical, etc. Bass plays an important role in this type of music so I want it to be very much present but not overpowering. I have a high end hifi system and have found the most neutral/accurate/revealing components bring out the best in my taste in music.

From what I have read, I have basically narrowed it down to:

1. Unique melody miracle (I understand is fairly neutral, smooth highs)
  2. Unique melogy merlin (similar to miracle but more bass emphasis)
  3. JH Audio  JH16 Pro (stronger bass presence but mids/high said to be more forward/fatiguing)
  4. Ultimate ears 18 Pro

Appreciate any input as to which of the above (or other) would be the most likely match to my tastes in music and sound, the best-all round performer and safest blind buy.

Thanks alot to anyone who is able to chime in!

p.s. In case it is important, I will be using a Fostex HP-P1 dac/headphone amp.

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #2 of 14
From what I've gathered, the Merlin isn't much like the Miracle.

I have only heard and own the JH16, and yes, alot of emphasis on bass here. I don't find the mids nor highs to be fatiguing though.

You might want to look into JH13 which is JH's other flagship said to be very neutral.

Try asking the companies for demo units. Obviously these won't give you the full experience, as they aren't fitted for your ears, but you should get a good idea of what sound you're going to get.

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #3 of 14
I'd go with JH Audio.  The 13 if you're looking for more of a reference set or the 16 if you want richer lows.  I personally would go with the 16 for the types of music I play and listen to (pop, rock).

Dec 21, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #4 of 14
I chose the Miracle when faced with a similar choice. I went with the Miracle based on the customer service issues people were describing with JH and the fact that the Miracle was liked by people who seem to share my preferences. The last bit was reported quality and price of Miracle. I couldn't be happier with my choice!

Also from your description I think you would like the signature. In my mind the bass in the Miracle is awesome

Dec 21, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #5 of 14
I will highly recommend the JH16Pro/JH3a because it offers superbly detailed soundquality with huge soundstage and quality deep punchy bass(it's adjustable). Overall soundquality is rival to many highend fullsize headphones setups. The other CIEMs like JH13Pro, ES5 are highly recommended too due to there very detailed soundquality and solid punchy bass with great imaging, soundstage and instruments separation.

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #11 of 14
Thanks all for the input so far.

I am still torn between the JH13,16 and miracle.

The JH16Pro/JH3a combo would be excellent but this would mean carrying 3 bricks around if I want to feed the JH3a digital which I would want to do. It's important for the setup to be portable. The great thing about this is that the bass would be adjustable completely seperately from the mid and high drivers and hence there is no risk involved with too much bass emphasis, it can be turned down if needed. Unfortunately this is not an option as it is just too much bulk to be carrying around.

I will be using the fostex hp-p1 dac/amp with my iphone so it will be a 2 brick setup. I'm leaning towards the JH16pro but the risk is that the bass is too powerful. On the other hand I could go for the JH13 or miracle and then be wishing I had some more bass "punch". Decisions, decisions....

To JH16Pro owners who use without the JH3a - is the bass with varying genres of music at any time 'overpowering' and unpleasant in any way or is it just very much present and an enjoyable way? As in you wouldnt technically be able to call the monitors neutral but the rich bass is just pure enjoyment?

Also, would any of these monitors not play nice with iphone/ipod direct connection or through the fostex hp-p1. I have heard that the miracle is a sublime match to the fostex hp-p1. Thanks again.

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #12 of 14
My portable rig is iPhone 4 -> TWag micro LOD -> Pico Slim -> TWag V2 IEM cable -> JH16

They are by no means "neutral", and I certainly wouldn't recommend them for studio monitoring or mixing, but they're great for what I use them for - enjoying music. I like a bit of bass, but as I've stated, I don't feel that it's "overpowering" or in any other way ruining the other aspects of the musical spectre.

I find they work extremely well with electronica, modern rock and pop music giving you that fun and "agressive" sound that I've always loved.

Can't comment on the HP-P1 though or what influence it will have on the JH16s. Didn't Jude do a video review of it where he mentioned the JH16s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back