Help me choose a sound card
Feb 15, 2011 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

BackwardPawn

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm new to head-fi and need some advice picking a sound card.  I just purchased a Xonar DX, but one channel has started cutting out, so I need to exchange it.  I'm trying to decide what I should replace it with, though.  Given that I only have HD555s, will I hear $150 worth of difference in a Xonar ST over the Xonar DX.  I think the HF setting on the DX sounds better than any creative card I've used,  and I hear the ST is amazing, but I realize these are entry level headphones and I don't want to waste money if they can't pick up the difference between the two cards.

Thanks for your help.

BackwardPawn

Feb 15, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #2 of 16
I prefer Auzentech forte,or the bravura...

Feb 15, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 16
I know it would have better EAX support than Asus, but how does the CMSS-3d sound on the Forte?  On my old Audigy 2, I was never real happy with the CMSS in either games or movies.  I've been pretty pleased with the Dolby headphone, though.  Has the CMSS-3d gotten better with the X-Fi?

Feb 15, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 16
So...I've been thinking about this, and I really want the ST.  But being new to headphones and having had jaw problems, I really don't want to fork over $200 and find I can't use it.  I think I'll probably go with the $60 option for six months or so and then hook it up to my HTPC.  Or maybe just drop back to the Audigy and get used to the headphones.  And then when I know I won't have any issues with the cans, I'll upgrade.

On that note, though, whats the best way to loosen up the HD555s.  I read somewhere to put them over a tower case overnight.

Feb 16, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #5 of 16
http://cgi.ebay.com/ONKYO-SE-90PCI-SN-110dB-24bit-192kHz-PCI-Sound-Card-PC-/150509245881?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230b0cd5b9
try this....
or...http://cgi.ebay.com/Auzentech-Sound-Card-AZT-BRAVURA-X-Fi-7-1-PCIE-24bit-/180621755741?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0de5455d
the bravura is my choice,although its not a true x-fi,put some AD797BR's on it and it will blow you away.
of course Xonar DX that you have is not bad either,I Know robcsix sells some auzentech cards,he could also help you the best as he is very familiar with all these cards you mentioned,he will give you an honest answer for sure.
PM him,say raymond sent you...:)
  http://www.head-fi.org/user/robscix

Feb 17, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #7 of 16
I've looked at the STX, but the price is holding me back.  If I got one of those, I was looking at the ST from Amazon.  Its the same price as the STX from newegg and is supposed to be a little better SQ.

I've actually refined my requirements a bit, though.  I'm going to build a new computer to go with the Yamaha amp and plasma TV.  The system will be used for music, games, and movies and will be connected to the amp using SPDIF.  I'll use both speakers and headphones on this setup.

My other computer will be in my bedroom and will be what I'm currently using (I may eventually put some budget upgrades into it).  I plan to use this for work as well as older games.  I'll stream music to it while I work and may stream movies occasionally.

For the new build, since the DAC will be in the Yamaha, am I safe getting a budget card with SPDIF?  If so, the DX gives me Dolby Live and Dolby headphone, as well as some EAX 5 emulation.  Is there another card I should be looking at for this, or am I looking the right direction?

For the older build, I think I actually want a better sound card for this computer since I'd be using the headphone out for music.  The ST would give me good quality, but since I want to use older games with it, the EAX support isn't as good...plus its a budget computer.  I was thinking if I could find a refurbished Forte this might be a good compromise.

If anyone has any suggestions on what sound cards would be best for each purpose, I'd appreciate it.

Feb 17, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #8 of 16
I'm about to get the X-Fi Titanium HD for the computer in my room.  I figure it'll drive the HD555 headphones, sound decent for music, and sound good for games.  With my setup, is there any reason I should spend the extra $40 on the Xonar ST?  Plus are the drivers any better on the STs than the DXs.  I've been reading on other forums that the right channel thing is a common problem with DXs.  Thanks.

Feb 17, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #9 of 16
I can only attest for the HT Omega Claro Halo soundcard. It's 200 bucks though, but worth every dollar.

Feb 18, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #10 of 16
Feb 18, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #12 of 16
Of course!
Im just in love with my soundcard right now,the best I've ever owned hands down!and there were many....
the sound lacks some punch at first,very clear with the stock OpAmps,no harsh sound like the STX,but way better then so many recommended OpAmp that I've tried and found they made my music sound worse,until yesterday when I've Putted the AD797ANZ in the buffers section,just when I wanted to give up...:) 
warning:a lot of music that you though that are good quality....well....they are not! :)

Feb 18, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
I've been reading on other forums that the right channel thing is a common problem with DXs.  Thanks.

I've had a DX for a couple of years, and never a problem with the R ch.

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #14 of 16
Thanks for the advice Raymond.  I've ordered the X-Fi through Amazon and should get it within a few days.  If all the new Intel motherboards hadn't been taken off the market, I'd be putting it in a new system.  As it is, I'll probably wait and see how Intel and AMD stack up and build something late spring or during the summer.

One last thing, can anyone recommend a pair of bookshelf speakers that I could pickup cheaply used.  Nothing high-end, just something to hook up to an old Yamaha amp I have here...the smaller the better.  I don't think the amp even has a digital input, so it would just be into the front connection.  I think anything will be better than the z-680s I've been using.

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #15 of 16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back