Help Me Choose A Souncard Please!
Oct 28, 2007 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Baines93

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, currently i am borrowing my dads old Soundblaster Live! Its a good card, i like it, and definatley no crackle etc compared to on-board with IEM's.

I previously made a thread about connecting my dads SBL to my pc's frontal case jacks. I later found this was not possible on this model, and many others too. Being the picky person i am, i would like these to be compatible with the card, for use with earphones, and for ease of use, i would like a card that has drivers that can switch the output from the speaker control panel, so i dont have to reach behind and swap them. The Audigy Platinum could be an option, as once earphones are plugged into the Livedrive, the speakers are muted, but i cannot afford the platinum, and i would also still want the swapping from the control panel for headphones plugged in the back. And i also belive its wrong that they overprice this drive bay feauture, because you cant connect your case jacks to their other cards.

So i would connect headphones (When i get some) and my speaker system (One plug only) and i would connect my Livewires (Once they arrive) to the frontal case jacks, which would be handy, as i would just un-plug them for school, at the front of the PC, rather than reach behind, and unplug them.

I belive the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz has both of these feutures, (swapable outputs & case jack support) but are there any others? Also how i the TBSC is for gaming, as this is also a considering factor, as i have read some music cards are terible for gaming, and i guess there must be some cards that are good for both.

Quick Breakdown:
I want to be able to change output from the PC / a switch on an external soundcard,
I want to be able to connect my front jacks to the soundcard, rather than mobo.
I would prefer PCI over USB stick style, but an external is possible at a push (If i does EVRYTHING i want, and PCI doesnt)

My budget is up to £15 (Maybe a tad more) and i am totally happy to get a better card, used rather than a worse card new. Better value for money IMO.

I will be buying any time really, and re-paying my bank account for the slight damadge after Xmas, when i have some more cash to put in.

Thanks in advance.

-= Matt =-

Oct 28, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 14
Im not sure what to do, as if i get a card that isnt great for gaming, but has all the features i want, it probably wouldnt matter as i use a USB gaming headset, with c-media chipset, and 7.1 drivers i think, as 7.1 drivers have no affect on my speakers via 3.5mm.

All i know is the USB headset which has good 7.1 positioning via drivers (i think, as i can turn 7.1 on/off with the drivers), but i have never tried headphones and a gaming soundcard, so i dont know how much better it can get if you see what i mean.

My point is that a card that has all the features i want is it might not be great for gaming but as of now, not that much of a super serious gamer, i find the USB hset is great for hearing footsteps.

i think i repeated myself lots there, but hey if it helps someone help me.

-= Matt =-

Oct 28, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 14
I am not sure what you are after....

but a sound card (PCI or USB) worth £15 wont be perfect (except AV-710 which is extremely rare in UK) and certainly wont do everything

may be you should consider raising your budge

Oct 28, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #4 of 14
i could buy a 2 way splitter, and keep it down the side of PC. when using Earphones turn off speakers, and when using speakers un-plug earphones, so they dont draw power.

i am going to get a music card now, as i have seen most high end gaming gear is USB anyway, like mine, so there is no need for a gaming card, as i find my headset (8 speakers? or 7.1 c-media Drivers? Or both?) is great for pin pointing footsteps any way.

i think the easiest option is to buy an extension, and coil the wire up under my PC's feet, and have 2 sockets sticking out the side from underneath, and front jacks not working. When using earphones, power off speakers, and when using speakers just simply unplug earphones. If and when i get music headphones for PC, i will have USB Gaming hp's, Music headphones, and my Livewires over a heaphone stan, and unplug my Livewires when using music headphones.

SO WHICH MUSIC CARD THEN??

Oct 29, 2007 at 9:52 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by arterius2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Av-710, get it from ebay.

My Dad, former computer engineer for IBM, said that chaaintech are generally a cheap crappy brand. What are anyones experiences with the C-tech AV-710?

And there are none on ebay.

Any other reccomendations?

My PC Rig WILL Be:

ASUS Mobo -> Soundcard -> 2 way splitter -> Speakers & 2 Way Y Splitter -> Livewires/Music headphones (possibly Grado SR-60/80)

When using my speakers i unplug both headphones from the splitter, when using either pair of earphones/headphones, i simply power off the speakers.

My screen (to be) will have a headphone jack, which i could connect to the splitter block coming from my souncard, then plug headphones into the monitor, instead of having the Y splitter next to me, even though its a top quality screen (iiyama) would this degrade sound quality noticabley?

I would only have one plug rather than 2 free, but would make life easier at times, when using my speakers. i would be bypassing the extension splitter cable this way.

Oct 29, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #8 of 14
chaintech av710 is about as good as it gets within your budget, they dont make crappy stuff, they just make affordable stuff. in which case, if im not wrong, is exactly what you need.
ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-CHAINTECH-AV-...QQcmdZViewItem

(edit) i see that you are from UK and shipping for this card might be extremely expensive. lemme find a solution. holdon

there arent really any other cards in the same league as av710 in terms of price. so next step up would be HT Omega striker/Auzentech x-tension/Sondigo Inferno or this TurtbleBeach Montego (http://cgi.ebay.ca/TurtleBeach-Monte...QQcmdZViewItem)

you should also look into this card called Diamond Xtreme. a few searches on ebay shows me that its within your price range.

Oct 29, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #9 of 14
Ok, i can get the chintech for $20, havnt checked shipping, elsewhere.

I could use my PC screen speakers as fronts, and labtecs as rears, but i have nowhere to put the left rear speaker lol.

So, Music Setup:
Soundcard -> Block Splitter -> Screen speakers / Labtecs -> Headphones out of screen/labtec speaker jack.

Gaming Setup:
ASUS Mobo (Geforce graphics card) -> Trust 640u USB Gaming Headset

ok im looking for a chaintech are there are any other alternatives.

Shipping from Head-fi members shouldnt be a rip-off, just cant get one for sale
frown.gif

Oct 29, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #10 of 14
What do you think of this?

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/106539
This is the dolby version, which is £2 more than the other one.

I know c-media is good, as their chipset in my 7.1 headset is great.

or this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/98938

Features are not a big problem now, as i have sussed out my setup plans, just need to chose the music soundcard.
Will have to swap jacks until christmas, or plug headphones into my labtecs sub (which still "subs" a tune with headphones plugged in?!)

EDIT: Prolly dont need the creative card, as Cmedia are widley used on mobo's etc. and i dont need EAX3 that the Creative card has, as i ALWAYS use the USB headset for gaming, and USB is top for gaming i believe anway.

Oct 29, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #11 of 14
currently i have lost all faith in creative cards -their drivers atually. (removed my audigy 2 for onboard sound). so i would pick the c-media card if i have to make a choice. i personally can careless about all the EAX, i play ALOT of games(FPS) and i never had any problems without using EAX.

Oct 29, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #12 of 14
Ok, Ebuyer inc. p&p is £22

Ebay is £15.53 inc. p&p

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Asonic-C-media...QQcmdZViewItem
Ok, manufacturer code on ebuyer is 8-8768-8C, ebuyer top line says 8738 BUT its wrong its 8768! Not the + Version though, but i can live without that. The ebay one is 68 i think, not 38, as the description is the same as ebuyer 68 too. I think it doesnt have dolby live (the 68) but it has dolby ex which was slightly older. but hey thats cool. Its a great spec'd soundcard for £15. TAKE A LOOK!

So What would sound better using headphones:

Soundcard -> Splitter -> Speakers & Screen Speakers -> Headphones plugged into the screen.

OR

Soundcard rear -> Speakers

&

Cards Internal output pins -> Pc case jacks (YAY) -> Headphones (when i get some :p!)

What does the internal output pins buffer do?

Any last help, or shall i take the plunge?

-= Matt =-

Oct 30, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #13 of 14
under the circumstance that you could not get a AV-710, i would say yes, get it. (remember that AV-710 is still better and cheaper if purchased locally). i would have to say the 2nd method is better.
im not sure what the internal output pins buffer do. maybe someone else could answer that, but if i have to take a guess, i would have to say that it enables/disables buffering on your outputs. in which case might fix stuttering or other associated problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back