Help me choose a set of headphones!
Apr 7, 2002 at 5:18 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

I would also be using these ‘phones while at work, so I think I’ll need to go towards the open cans – I need to be able to hear the phone ringing and whatnot while in the office.

The HD 280 Pros are not for you. They block out almost as much noise as Etys. If you have music playing, I doubt that you will be able to hear the phone ringing.

Apr 7, 2002 at 5:33 AM Post #18 of 23
When looking at my port replicator, I do see I have both a line in and a line out. I have no idea if the line out on the port replcator is powered or if it’s any different from the headphone out on the actual laptop.

The only type of headphones I have used on the laptop were a pair of ear buds a coworker of mine had…not really the best way to test out the quality of the headphone out.

As far as being able to hear the phone while listening to the headphones – I have removed the possibility of using them at work. While it would be really nice to have some great sounding tunes while at work, I’m afraid it just won’t work at this point.

So, after all of this, I still think I am going to order the Sennheiser HD280s. If I am not a fan of these cans after a little while, I would probably be able to sell them to a friend of mine and buy something else. These weren’t the first thing I had in mind when I started the thread, but they seem like a very solid choice. Plus, the environment I will be using them has changed a little bit, now that work+headphones probably won’t mix all that well!

Again, thanks for all the advice so far! Keep it coming
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2002 at 6:43 AM Post #19 of 23
Well, about the soundcard...

If you don't want to shell out alot of cash, then you might want to check out the Fortissimo II. It's about $40 at newegg

Also, if i was you, i wouldn't mess with some of the open cans mentioned. I would probably get the DT250's or Ety er6's if i was you.

Apr 7, 2002 at 11:13 AM Post #20 of 23
Make sure there is a return policy on the Etymotics! I ordered some ER4P's for my iPod and think they sound terrible! No bass, very tinny sound, and probably the most uncomfortable feeling in the world having them shoved into your ear canals!

The Grado SR80's I found to be too shrill in the high end, and far too noisy and disruptive to those around me. They also let in too much external noise.

I have the Koss Porta Pro for the park (these are open but fabulous), and some Sennheiser HD25's for the gym (closed). If the HD280's are anything like the HD25's I wouldn't hesitate in recommending the HD280. The HD25's don't have as much isolation as the HD280's, but bear in mind that if you have to remove something from your ears in order to talk to someone it is far less hassle to take off some headphones than it is to yank out some Etymotics lodged in your ear!

Hope this helps!

Apr 7, 2002 at 12:45 PM Post #21 of 23
I own the V6's and have added the Beyer pads to make them more comfortable, which is something you will consider if you wear your headphones for up to 12 hours at work. Considering that the Beyer pads will put the V6's near the $100 range, I really can't wholeheartedly recommend them. If I had the same hundred dollars to spend today, I would certainly give the 280's a try, since by most accounts they beat the V6's in overall sound quality.

The KSC-35 suggestion is also a good one, but I feel they emphasize mid and upper bass a bit too much, giving hard rock/heavy metal an overly warm and muddy quality in the bass. The types of rock you listen to shouldn't suffer as much, and the techno should sound REALLY good with the 35's.

Apr 7, 2002 at 6:44 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Commander
Make sure there is a return policy on the Etymotics! I ordered some ER4P's for my iPod and think they sound terrible! No bass, very tinny sound, and probably the most uncomfortable feeling in the world having them shoved into your ear canals!

The Grado SR80's I found to be too shrill in the high end, and far too noisy and disruptive to those around me. They also let in too much external noise.

I have the Koss Porta Pro for the park (these are open but fabulous), and some Sennheiser HD25's for the gym (closed). If the HD280's are anything like the HD25's I wouldn't hesitate in recommending the HD280. The HD25's don't have as much isolation as the HD280's, but bear in mind that if you have to remove something from your ears in order to talk to someone it is far less hassle to take off some headphones than it is to yank out some Etymotics lodged in your ear!

Hope this helps!

You do realize that you have the EXACT symptoms of getting a bad seal, and that merely sticking with the Etymotics over the long term, trying different ways of putting them in your ears, and wearing them often will fix this?

Apr 7, 2002 at 8:39 PM Post #23 of 23
For the HD-497's....

IMO a lot of the people that recommend these must have only tried them temporarily, like at a store or something. I bought these at circuit city for $69.99 and broke them in for over 60hrs. The sounded EXCELLENT for the price. They really do sound great.

However, they were RIDICULOUSLY uncomfortable. I could not wear them for more than 20 minutes without my ears getting red and hurting. I tried it, and so did a friend and another co-worker.

They are cheaply built, the way you adjust them WEARS OUT after about 20 clicks or so. By the time I adjusted, 2 other people adjusted them, then I adjusted them again they wouldn't stay where they should. I returned them, bit the bullet and bought the HD-590's. I will never go back, they are sooo comfortable and sound great. ($169.99 at hifi buys)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back