Help me choose a set of headphone please!!!
Apr 11, 2014 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

aidsbums

New Head-Fier
Hello, this is my first feed...

I am looking to buy a set of new headphones, these will be my first set of relatively expensive phones, so my price range is about £0-£200.

I would like circumaural phones, open or closed back.

So far I have been looking at Sennheiser HD 598 (£150), but as i do not have much experience in the headphone industry i do not know many other brands.

I know that Beats are horribly overpriced, and i am not interested in being another one of those w**kers who wear them thinking they are quality headphones... 

I have no preferences on how they look.

I like all sorts of music, metal, rock, alt. rock, alt. metal, dub, genuine rap (2pac, pharoahe monch, etc.), but i do not like any of the modern generic pop.

I do not want to have to replace these any time soon, so i want a durable set that can last me a long time.

If you could help me out then thanks, anything appreciated!!! 

Apr 11, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #2 of 9
Where are you going to be using these headphones? And what will you be using as a source?

Apr 11, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #4 of 9
I think that if you're considering a large set of cans, you might want to consider investing in an amplifier at a later date.
For that price, I think you're looking for an all rounder.
The HD598 isn't too bad.
Consider the Brainwavz HM5
or even the Audio-Tehnica M50 (which is undergoing some price increases).
I hear good things about the Creative Aurora Live (or however it's spelt), or maybe you might enojy the Sony MDR V6/7506.

You can probably get more help in the "Reommendations" side of the forum, and I would recommend that you ask there for some better suggestions.

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 9
Audio Technica A900x is a good all rounder IMO and you can snag its for in that price range if you look around I imagine. Doesn't need amping but I noticed an increase in the punchyness of the bass when I amped mine.

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #6 of 9
Audio Technica A900x is a good all rounder IMO and you can snag its for in that price range if you look around I imagine. Doesn't need amping but I noticed an increase in the punchyness of the bass when I amped mine.

Those might lack the bass that you want for dub, but otherwise a great choice.
ATH-AD700 has been pretty popular too, and it's cheaper, but I think it probably has less bass that the A900x.

Apr 11, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #7 of 9
The requirements you list are incredibly broad and there is so much to choose from.

Something like the A900x is undoubtedly a safe and smart choice. And if you just want an incredibly durable workhorse headphone that is an efficient great sounding all rounder (other than the A900x) there are headphones like the AKG K550, Shure SRH840, Beyerdynamic DT250 80ohm, and many more. These are all closed, there are just as many open options too. (I personally prefer open headphones, but if I was to choose just one headphone, it would be the DT250... ugly and unfashionable I know, but incredibly versatile and always satisfying)

Maybe this is a cop out, but I would recommend finding some way of trying them out for yourself. All headphone models sound different, and it's really impossible to understand exactly how they differ until you've tried them. I read a lot of "this is not what I expected" threads on the web.
Is there a headphone shop near you?

Apr 12, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #8 of 9
Thanks everyone, i realize i have posted this in the wrong section...

I shall have a look at all these suggestions and try to find a headphone shop nearby (i live close to Edinburgh).

I also know that my specifications are very wide, but i think that is cause this is my first set of phones...

But thanks to everyone and ill tell you the one i have chosen.

Apr 12, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #9 of 9
Those might lack the bass that you want for dub, but otherwise a great choice.
ATH-AD700 has been pretty popular too, and it's cheaper, but I think it probably has less bass that the A900x.

Tbh I don't really find the a900x bass light at all, nothing like the ad700 or a900. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back