Help me choose a Pot!
Jul 20, 2007 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

laxx

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys, I'm currently gathering the parts for a custom source selecter/passive preamp project I plan to work on during the summer. I recently got a hold of an older JVC Super-A M-7050 Power Amplifier made back in the early 80's. It has very small volume control knobs on the back of the unit, which I plan to bypass as it's very inconvenient to access, let alone level match them since they are mono controls.

I know the Darkvoice 332 has preamp out, but I don't want to have to turn it on if I'm using speakers, so that's out of the question.

My design is 5 inputs and 2 outputs. 5 inputs controlled by a rotary switch and 2 output with a dpdt switch. One output will be wired directly to a pair of RCA's while the other output is wired through a volume pot. It's designed this way for 1 headphone and one speaker amplifier output.

My question is what potentiometer do I use? I always hear recommendations for Alps Blue Velvet pots, but I see there are 10k, 50,k and 100k versions. Which would you recommend me using?

Thanks for any help.
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the advice, but how do you determine which pot to use?

Oct 11, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #5 of 5
I'm just about to click "FIRE!" on a new batch of parts for an amp I'm building and I'd like to know how you determine which pots are okay to use as well. I already have a little 10k from a cMoy project sitting here so I'm wondering if I can get away with using that or if I really should order a different one. The input impedance of the OpAmp is 30k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back