Help me choose a portable headphone amp for my Android cell phone
Feb 13, 2011 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

FulciLives

New Head-Fier
Hello :)

I recently got an Android cell phone and since I haven't used my iPod Touch very much since I got it (16GB 2G model) I decided to sell it off. I figure I can use my phone and my phone does FLAC so I don't have to deal with ALAC conversion anymore.

I bought new headphones even (although still kinda low end ... Altec Lansing MuzX Classic).

Problem is the sound output on my Android is kinda low (I've heard others complain of my particular model as having "low headphone output" on another forum). Even with the volume turned up "all the way" it often (with most songs) is not loud enough.

So I just want a "simple" portable headphone amp so as to increase the volume.

I'm thinking the FiiO E5 may be 'good enough' but I don't know. The NuForce Icon Mobile is another device I've considered.

Suggestions and recommendations please.

Thank you!

P.S.
Please note my Android has a 2.5mm headphone output but I have a working 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter (since my headphones are 3.5mm size). I don't think there is a way to get a "line out" from my Android (it's a cheap low budget model).

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #3 of 8
do u really want an amp for your phone? gotta either hold it together or unplug wne you get a call, and plug it back in. i think its just a hassle. if i was going to use my phone, id just go ampless and go with a headphone that doesnt require one.

Feb 16, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #4 of 8
I have an android phone too yeah the vol is quite low but mx vol is def loud enuff most android phones.dont have line out so you would go through the phones amp first then through the fiio amp so I dont get the point besides vol.boost it would distort the sq more

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #6 of 8
I have an iCube, Corda Move2, and a p51. Each has an area in which it shines. To be honest, I would go with the smallest amp I could get based on purely the portability aspect. Any amp will be an improvement over un-amped, so go for the ease of a smaller amp.

Feb 22, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #7 of 8
To ad my above post Tune in radio and ER4P , I sometimes use Gary 's amp ( still have his first design) which is nice also,but it really depends on the   station you listen to  for sound quality

Feb 22, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #8 of 8

You have a Galaxy S?  Have you flashed a Voodoo kernel? 

Quote:
I have an android phone too yeah the vol is quite low but mx vol is def loud enuff most android phones.dont have line out so you would go through the phones amp first then through the fiio amp so I dont get the point besides vol.boost it would distort the sq more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back