Help me choose a new TV... too many options
Jan 23, 2008 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

grandenigma1

Member of the Trade:Enigma Audio
Currently debating between the Samsung 71/81 series and the Sony XBR4. It will be used with an HTPC which is the reason why you do not see any Plasma TVs.

I am open to any and all suggestions. Please let me know why you would or wouldn't get a specific model. Also feel free to make other suggestions.

My room limits me to no greater than 52". Price does not matter.

Jan 23, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #2 of 13
I currently have the last of the Sony XBR CRT 36" high def models and it's great ... except I'd like to have a bigger picture when viewing letterbox.....especially with music videos. It doesn't seem right hearing a huge sound from a pretty good A/V system, supporting what amounts to a 34" (or less) letterbox picture. So after much research I have a 46" Bravia W3000 on order that should be in this week. I've been holding off for a couple of years now, waiting for technology to improve and prices to drop, and I'm still convinced that another couple of years will bring considerable new, noticeable advances ( they've come a long way in the past few years already.) but I can't wait any longer. So I'm considering this purchase as a stop-gap fix to keep me happy until HD becomes more commonplace through cable and the HD/BluRay thing is finally resolved. Because I already know this TV will be delegated to the bedroom in the not-too -distant future, I decided not to go bigger (although it's not too late for me switch to the 52"
wink.gif
) or for the 46" 120 hz XBR4. I'm not convinced that the extra $$ are worth it to me at this time, again, knowing that I'll be wanting to upgrade in a couple of years anyway. One thing I do know however, is that both the W3000 and XBR can produce some incredible resolution when fed ( and that's the critical part) a good signal.

With regards to size, I've found conflicting info/recommendations on the web. It seems that the older recommendations, which originated years ago when the first big screen rear projection tv's started appearing, are not necessarily valid any longer. The resolution has become so good that in most cases, you can sit closer ... so a 52" TV for example, isn't out of the question at a 7' viewing distance. However, that's only appropriate if you have an excellent, clean signal ... otherwise you'll see all the imperfections. As I bachelor, I'm free to go a rather unconventional route in home decor, and intend to have both the new LCD and my old CRT beside each other. I'll reserve the LCD for hi-def and DVD letterbox programs with home theatre surround , and use the CRT for regular programing in the old format.

Jan 23, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #4 of 13
Recommended my brother to get the Samsung 52" 120hz 71 model. I am extremely happy with it, I compared it in store vs the Sony XBR. They seem as if they are the same manufactured screens, not difference in details at all, but different coloring and contrast. I am skeptical about these 120hz technology working at their best effect. The Samsung only look good after you turn off the Dynamic feature off, and another dynamic color feature hidden in the menus, they causes the color to be very saturated, and complete lost of midrange and bad details. Once you edit all the settings then it will look good. We are really enjoying this tv.

I don't have an hd player, but does have a digital antenna and got some 1080i channels. this is my amazon.com review:

pro:
-the 'edge enhencement' works like "unsharp mask" in photoshop, it really help sharpen 1080 images.

-25k:1 dynamic contrast ratio. its darker than all the other lcds.

-believe it not the look was one of the factor, the ugly speaker holes + glass frame around the sony makes it look like a buick. I prefer the samsung smooth gloss look.

cons:

-not as fast response rate compared to sony, but this is minimal. such as seeing a football spins in the air. there is a "game" mode you can turn on but it is not available all the time, not in movies i think.

-color: alot of people say the xbr color is more naturaly, and i actaully agree. but the samsung allows me to pinpoint things anywhere in the screen faster. the samsung color is a bit saturated. the sony on the other hand is very smooth, and it seem to be soft on the eyes so you can stare at it longer with less eye strains.

-10bit color processor, some other lcd goes up to 14bit like toshiba, but then again my brother's toshiba labtop screen died 3 times.

misc:
-gloss screen - bottom line is in my house no one come home before 6pm and we use 60watt energy saver. But the XBR screen do not reflect lights or very little, comparing to the samsung.

-I wonder if this monitor can take in 120hz signal. I havent test that on the hdmi and doesnt have any device to output that either. But via VGA cable I can only do 60hz.

-optional feature, auto motion plus: I don't know if this is supposed to increase response rate or improve anyhting, it seem to be a crock of crap to me. All it seem to do is speed up or slow down the video, base on how much info there at the time, causing unstable framerates and weird motion. It's better to actaully leave this thing off so the video play smoothly.

-i hate that there are no single universal audio input, but this holds true for all the tvs too think. if you use one input you have to use the exact audio connector paired for that input.

This apply for all 120hz tv I've wacthed: I don't feel a difference comparing to my computer screen 60hz. overally it doesn't really lessen my headache faster looking at a big screen tv longer than 10 minutes.

Tip for testing out the tv: find some extremely high quality jpg, also your best 320kbps mp3 song, put it in a usb flash drive, plug it in the back left of the Samsung, use the WiseLink feature on the remote. You can view the image and play the mp3 on the tv speakers, which I find are pretty good. One of the best way to see the potential of these lcd are with the lastest video games since they are very details and demand very fast response rate. Basically this lcd makes an amazing computer monitor.

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #7 of 13
Get Sony BRAVIA. 120hz is useless marketing crap. Edge enhancement is bad for movies. Best blacks on LCD. 1080p will be good in the long run. You get xvYCC color on Sony. For more information on how to decide your TV, go to AVS Forum and it has so much more information than here.. no offense. If price doesn't matter I would get Pioneer Elite Kuro 1080p. It has the picture matching or best CRT quality TV. Highest rated.

Jan 23, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #8 of 13
I would also get one of the Pioneer Kuros but they are Plasma and he didn't want plasma.

A HTPC if movie only I think would be fine with the Plasma.

Jan 23, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #9 of 13
Well in my experience, there is no more image burn in if that's why he doesn't like the Plasma. There is image retention but that's when you leave it for an hour and it goes away after a few minutes. Plasma technology is different now from the earlier models. The only downside is that it sucks in more power than LCD. When I went to Lucas Arts imagery studio, they have Pioneer Kuro as their reference monitor this usually comes with a long static image while on idle but most studio still use KD-34XBR960 or KD-34XBR970 for reference especially here in Sony Pictures Entertainment and Columbia Pictures.

Jan 23, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #10 of 13
I guess part of the reason I am hesitant to go plasma is that my wife watches a number of SD shows and channels such has HGA and Food Network. I am afraid of the possible burn in and IR from having those on for a few hours a day with both the side bars and the logo....

I have spent hours on AVSForum and they are just as bad as us. It all comes down to a matter of preference and not that one is necessarily better than the the other. With plasma I have to baby it for the first few hundred hours where as LCD it is ready to go out of the box. Granted LCD doesn't have the blacks of plasma it does seem to pop out at you more and be more vivid.....

Also, in regards to people on AVSForum I am a noob there and have no idea who any one is, if they are qualified to speak about a certain topic, or if I have similar tastes to them. At least here I know that about the majority of the people.

I sit exactly 8.25' from the TV which seems to put me somewhere between 720p and slightly into the 1080p range for a 52" screen. I am not sure if I would be better of going with a 52" 720p or 1080p.

Jan 24, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #13 of 13
Like I said before, image burn in is non-existent in current technology of Plasma today like Pioneer Kuro. Image retention is a temporary static ghost of an image if left unchanged for over an hour but goes away after a few minutes. If you still don't like Plasma because you are skeptical, go with Bravia XBR4 or XBR5. They have the best picture from LCD. If you could wait for a few more years, go with OLED or SED whichever comes first. I am not blowing smokes as I have experience many HDTV over the past years. Majority of preference in AVS Forum is either Sony Bravia for LCD, Pioneer Kuro for Plasma, Sony SXRD or Samsung DLP for RPT, and Sony Trinitron Wega for HD CRT. Research more and you will be more happier with your purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back