Help me choose a new pair of headphones, thanks!
Dec 9, 2016 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

saldsald

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi, I am recently looking for another pair of headphones to please my ears. I have bought a few in last two months but I just want another pair. I am using some low-fi gears but they work pretty well for me. Here is the list of my stuffs:

DAC: Dual 4399 
Headphone Amp: Little Dot i+
Headphones: HD 598, HE-400i, isk HF-2010, AKG 240s, edifier H841P, Senn HD540 ref ii

The two senns I have owned them for quite a while and the rest are new and here is my impressions on them:

HD598: I find them very balanced with good tight bass but a bit boring since they don't have any "bite" 
HD-400i: pretty good headphones with very good bass but mid is a bit muddy, probably can use eq to solve the problem
isk HF-2010: I bought these because they were quite cheap just to try out the brand but they don't sound too good to me and they are really small for my XL head
AKG 240s: I quite like them and mainly use them for gaming. They got bites and sound pretty clear to help locate enemies in fps games. upper mids are also good however I find them very muddy on the mid-lower end. Overall they are enjoyable and easy listening but again just a little small for my head. 
edifier H841P: they are recommended by a website and really cheap with pretty good sounds. The bass can be too boomy thou but mids and highs are good and the bass is quite powerful. However the cups are too small for my liking. 
HD540 ref ii: Own them for ages but the new earpads make them sound terrible, need to address to that soon. 

I am actually looking for a new pair mainly for gaming and music (female vocals, rock, jazz, actually all kinds of music except techno, very bassy kinds, I don't need a lot of bass)
As you can see I mainly use the AKG 240s for gaming however I do have comments on the muddy bass and lower mids. And since I like the sound signature of the AKGs, can you guys recommend me a pair of AKG or other similar headphones to suit my needs?

Actually one more thing, some AKG cans are kind of cheap here:
(in USD)
K701:  129
K612 Pro: 129
Q701: 202
K712 Pro: 215
K550 ii: 125

I also looked at beyer's 770, 880 and 990, I wanted to try the 880 but I don't think they will fit my head without dismounting the sliding mechanism just to put on my head as the isk HF-2010 have a similar (copy) design 

Thanks!

Dec 9, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #2 of 6
I like my Q701 for what you are looking for.  I'd probably go with the massdrop K7XX personally, though 129 for the K701 is a bargain.

Dec 9, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #3 of 6
This is exactly what I am thinking. The K701 seems like a bargain especially comparing to the Q701. It s a bit painful to miss the K701 however maybe the Q701 or the KXX as you also recommend may fit me better... 

Dec 9, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #4 of 6
  This is exactly what I am thinking. The K701 seems like a bargain especially comparing to the Q701. It s a bit painful to miss the K701 however maybe the Q701 or the KXX as you also recommend may fit me better... 

The K7XX is basically the Q701 with K712 pads.  Go with the K7XX between those two.

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #5 of 6
I ended up getting a pair of K701, haha... I tried the K712 Pro, K612 Pro and the K701 at the shop and the K701 was the clear winner for my taste. I got a pretty good DAC that delivers very punchy bass so I was sure that the "lack of bass" would not be a problem for me. I also read that the Q701 is actually is basically K701 with bass mod (membrane removal) so I tried that mod right after my purchase (and broke the cheap grills...anyway...) but I actually disliked the mod and put the membrane back (so the Q701 actually wasn't for me). So far happy with the purchase but the leather headband is like a steel reinforced cardboard. 

BTW, just saw the local HMV selling the K612 Pro at USD90...lol...

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #6 of 6
I ended up getting a pair of K701, haha... I tried the K712 Pro, K612 Pro and the K701 at the shop and the K701 was the clear winner for my taste. I got a pretty good DAC that delivers very punchy bass so I was sure that the "lack of bass" would not be a problem for me. I also read that the Q701 is actually is basically K701 with bass mod (membrane removal) so I tried that mod right after my purchase (and broke the cheap grills...anyway...) but I actually disliked the mod and put the membrane back (so the Q701 actually wasn't for me). So far happy with the purchase but the leather headband is like a steel reinforced cardboard. 

BTW, just saw the local HMV selling the K612 Pro at USD90...lol...
Actually the Q701 has the membrane as well, but you are correct that it brings the signature very close. The Q701 are not bassy by any means but they have enough. I haven't heard the K701 but they are very similar on paper. Glad you enjoy them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back