Help me choose a new IEM - SA6, q-JAYS etc etc
Apr 12, 2008 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

McCol

Headphoneus Supremus
I went to change the filters on my ety er4p's yesterday and noticed that a very small part of the casing around the filter had broken off. Managed to change the filter ok and the foamie is keeping it in place with no effect on SQ.

Got me thinking that i need to buy another set of iem's as a backup(or 1st choice if they are better than the er4p).

I've read through the Sleek Audio SA6 thread and various posts on the q-JAYS.
I'm tempted to go with one of these but was just curious as to wether or not anybody has compared these to each other or to the er4p.

I do like the sound from my ety's but wouldnt mind a little more bass, not a great deal but just a little!

In the past i've tried the Atrio's, Ue pro 5, Vibes and the im716. Prefer the ety's to all of those.

At the moment i am leaning towards the SA6, unless anybody can give me other ideas.

My budget is approx £130(approx $260). I can get the q-JAYS for £130 here in the UK or the SA6 for £145(inc shipping from US).

Will be using unamped with an ipod touch.

Apr 12, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #2 of 9
1 vote for SA6, and I owned ER4Ps, Atrios once upon a time too. No exp with q-Jays. The module thing rocks, though. Cable gets caught in law mower, $22. Treble tube cracks, $22. No replacement costs for full phone. And 2-year warranty. Oh, and they sound great, in my view, better (more balanced, great mids, detail) than either the Atrio or ER4P.

Apr 12, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #3 of 9
I have ER4-P and q-Jays and SA6.

q-Jays and SA6 are very close call in SQ.
q-Jays are more detailed and anlytic and bit cold(might be harsh because of too much treble energy) it's more like "in the head: sound.

SA6 with treble+ port and bass + port, sweet hight, not harsh at all, nice sound stage, you can tune the sound.

Even though I really like q-Jays design and comfort, SA6 is beeter in SQ for my taste by little margin ( sound stage and non-fatiguing sound).

You really should try them both and choose one.

If you prefer sound of ER-4p, i'll say go fo SA6!

Apr 12, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #4 of 9
I am swayed towards the Sa6's, but then i discover i can get Triple fi 10 for approx £35-40 more.

Problem in UK is that i dont think there is a retailer who will take them back if you dont like the product.

Apr 13, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by McCol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am swayed towards the Sa6's, but then i discover i can get Triple fi 10 for approx £35-40 more.

Problem in UK is that i dont think there is a retailer who will take them back if you dont like the product.

But if you really like the ER-4p, i know SA6 and q-jays are closer to ER-4p than triple fi to ER-4p. ...As in accurate mids and highs, detail.

Apr 13, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #6 of 9
I just got my Q-Jays a week ago (after a good month on backorder), and while I'm a newb at the Head-Fi thing, I can definitely say I love them. They're very clear, and true to sound though; if you want extra bass, you'll need to EQ it. And while the foamies are great for isolation, they can pop very easily off the bud itself - I lost one for a day on my walk home. I had to walk back slowly to find it.
mad.gif

Apr 13, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #7 of 9
The q-Jays are pretty close to the Etymotics in terms of sound, though they do have better bass and slightly less analytical treble. The SA6 are good too, but not quite as close to the ER-4P sonically. The Triple.fi might be a good deal at that price, but they're not at all similar to your current IEMs.

Apr 14, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for the replies folks.

In the end i decided to buy the Triple Fi's. After reading through the SA6 thread and various other threads, I thought that these would be worth a go. Couple of reasons for that, hopefully they should be here tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back