help me choose a headphone/earphone.
Dec 15, 2008 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

zefa

New Head-Fier
hi. i am quite a hi-fi newbie.

i'm planning on a set of headphones/in ear monitors to go with an iPod/HeadRoom Total BitHead amp (that's all my dad allowed me).

see, the moment that got me into hi-fi is that when my dad borrowed my Agaetis Byrjun CD (by Sigur Ros) for auditioning some tube amps and some speakers. the track was "Staralfur" from that CD. (i remember this moment very vividly); i was blown away; "where the hell have i been?" i wondered. (i had previously been listening to music from $10 earphones and laptop only). it changed my life. hearing "God Only Knows" from the next CD (Beach Boys' Pet Sounds) only reinforced it. that day bonds me closer with my dad but that's another story

but now i'm facing something new: college.
which means living away from home: which means now i have neighbors close by: which means no more speaker/amp/decent CD player setup.

i like music that is "cinematic", huge, drowning. Sigur Ros, Cinematic Orchestra, the Beatles (especially Phil Spector produced ones), Beach Boys (pet sounds), and the likes. i like to "get lost" in the music, you know, "grand". listening to Claude Debussy and David Russel CDs make me sleep (no offense). (so i imagine it calls for a "warm" sound and a big soundstage then? Ah, those audiophile terms.)

so just point some brands and models, and i'll try them on.

i have $300 now, but if i save up hard maybe i can manage up to $500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back