Help me choose a DAC.
Oct 30, 2004 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kaxixi

Head-Fier
Planning on purchasing an airport express to stream music to my home stereo (2x Rotel RB970 -> NHT superzeros and sub). Of course, I'm planning on sticking a DAC in there, but I'm not sure which one to go with. Considering (but open to other suggestions):

1. AOS Piccolo (~$275)
2. CI Aadio VDA-1 (~$350)
3. Scott Nixon Chibi Saru (~$250)

I've read favorable reviews of all three on the forums--I'd really like to know how the three compare. The Piccolo and the Chibi Saru are roughly the same price and are cheaper than the VDA-1, so I unless you guys recommend selling my soul for the VDA-1, it is those two that I'd be most interested in hearing about.

Thanks!!

erez

Oct 30, 2004 at 10:51 PM Post #3 of 10
I've been using the CIAUDIO device for a few weeks now (I also went with their dedicated power supply). It's pretty sweet & seems to get completely out of the way sound-wize (i.e., transparent). It's not gonna win any portability awards though...Piccolo wins hands down in that departement. I've been poking around inside & it looks like there are some upgrade possibilities (maybe throw in a few Black Gates)...also empirical audio claims they can apply a mod to add USB to virtually any DAC with (check out the component mods section at www.empiricalaudio.com) ...I'm seriously considering it cuz it would allow direct S/PDIF coupling to virtually eliminate the jitter & impedance issues inherent to S/PDIF cabling.

Peace,

Graz

Oct 30, 2004 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graz
also empirical audio claims they can apply a mod to add USB to virtually any DAC with (check out the component mods section at www.empiricalaudio.com) ...I'm seriously considering it cuz it would allow direct S/PDIF coupling to virtually eliminate the jitter & impedance issues inherent to S/PDIF cabling.

If I'm not mistaken, Empirical Audio's claims and advertising tactics have not been very well received around here. The jitter claim has been disputed, and the EA guy's ad-like posts are not too popular.

Oct 31, 2004 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 10
The EA guy does good work, it's just VERY expensive. His jitter papers are pretty sound according to engineers over at diyaudio. His problem here is that all his posts sound like underhanded advertisements. Oh yeah, and his work is very VERY expensive.

Nov 1, 2004 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 10
I wonder if the M-Audio SuperDAC is also comparable to the DACs mentioned?

One thing to make sure of is that the Airport Express has a mini optical out, so I guess the DAC has to have a compatible input? I think all of the ones mentioned do.

Nov 1, 2004 at 12:36 AM Post #7 of 10
Actually, I think the Chibi Saru only has coaxial in.

Nov 1, 2004 at 12:52 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrie
Actually, I think the Chibi Saru only has coaxial in.

I think you can ask for it to be made with optical in, but someone may want to confirm this.

Edit: I meant optical in (not out). Fixed.

Nov 1, 2004 at 3:42 PM Post #9 of 10
I also think you can ask for the optical input to be installed on the Chibi Saru. And yes, I probably should have included the M-Audio, since it does have inputs other than the USB input.

Any comments on the relative sound quality of each?

erez

Nov 1, 2004 at 4:06 PM Post #10 of 10
I enjoy my modded ART DI/O quite a bit.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back