Help me choose a DAC/AMP!
Apr 27, 2010 at 7:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Raguvian

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I apologize for yet another "what to get?" thread but as I'm saving up for a headphone/amp setup I'm doing a lot of research on what DAC/AMP to buy. I have a max of $200, and I'm 99% sure I will be getting AKG K702's.

Here are the 3 that I'm considering:

1. Audinst HUD MX-1, $180 shipped:

Audinst HUD-mx1 Hi-Fi USB Audio DAC - eBay (item 170473708156 end time May-15-10 20:55:52 PDT)

2. Hifiman EF2A, $190 shipped:

Head-Direct.com | YUIN

3. Maverick Audio Tube Magic D1, $205 shipped

Maverick Audio - Tube Magic D1 DAC

Which one of these 3 would you guys suggest, and are there any other DAC/AMPS for $200 or less that you would suggest?

I was set to get the Audinst because of the price and its features (can be used as a USB converter, DAC, AMP or DAC/AMP), but I'm not fond of the looks and I don't know if it will drive the K702's. I really like how the EF2A looks, but I read that the tubes make the amp sound very bright. Finally, the Maverick Audio one is on my list because it looks gorgeous. However, I looked around but couldn't find any of the specs for it, and I didn't want to read the 100+ thread on it.

Finally, one last question on the Maverick Audio DAC/AMP. Some research shows that it has both a tube amp and a solid state amp. How does this work? Do they both function at the same time or can you switch them or does each input use a different amp?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back