Help me choose a complementary headphone
Jun 11, 2005 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bahamaman

1000+ Head-Fier
No, I'm not looking for the headphone to tell me how wonderful I am (that would be complimentary).

Source: set, lossless audio files TOSlinked to a Benchmark DAC1. Don't suggest a better source - I'm pleased with the DAC1 and the convenience of listening to audio files in my computer.

Amp: set, Headcode Dual Mono, due by the end of the month.

Headphone: have my woodied/recabled 770/80, which I love. Great for music that needs explosion and impact. Bass to die for.

Need: a complementary headphone. Something that satisfies when I want a complete change of pace from the Beyer. Stated simply, I want something that can do what the 770 cannot. I want shimmering yet gentle highs, and, especially lush mid-range. Controlled but not overpowering bass. Have considered the 880, the SA5000, the 595 w/ Cardas. Other suggestions?

My musical tastes are pop/rock/country/vocals.

Problem: while it need not be closed, it must not leak too much, at least at low volumes.

Jun 11, 2005 at 4:04 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
AKG 501's seem like a good choice, given the criteria.

x2... theyre open though.

Jun 11, 2005 at 4:07 AM Post #4 of 7
A little open is ok. I just thought the buzz on the 501s was their lack of anything on the bottom end (though, to be a contrast to the 770s, that would make sense I suppose
wink.gif
).

Jun 11, 2005 at 4:20 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
A little open is ok. I just thought the buzz on the 501s was their lack of anything on the bottom end

they are kinda like the etys, the bass notes are there, they just don't have impact. if you are looking for gentle highs, the SA5k's might be a little screechy for you. not as bad as the DT770's highs, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back