Help me choose a bass heavy IEM -> un-amped
Nov 20, 2008 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

ls206

Head-Fier
Hi,

Sorry to start yet another "help me choose" thread.
I've had a huge search+reading session on a selection of IEMs.

What I'm looking for is a IEM for around £50 with big punchy bass, fairly warm and a slight rolloff on the highs.
I will be using them with an iPod + .wav music files.
I won't be using an amp and so I would rather not spend extra for headphones that need an amp to reach their full potential

Here's a list on some that I can't decide between.

Main contenders (within the budget....nearly..)
-Denon AH-C351 ~£35
-Ultimate Ears Metro.fi 2 ~£40
-UE Super.fi 3 ~£50

Possible picks (costing a fair amount more, but is it worth it?)
-Denon AH-C551 ~£60
-Denon AH-C700 ~£70
-Etymotic ER-6i ~£70
-Jays d-Jays ~£70
I'm thinking that these headphones may perform best with an amp. If this is the case, as I said above I think I'd prefer to buy something a little cheaper.

I'm drawn more towards the Denons from the reviews/comparisons I've read.

Many thanks for any responses
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #2 of 47
considered atrio m5? that is a really bass heavy IEM

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 47
If you really want a lot of bass you also can consider the Ultimate Ears Super Fi.5 Extended Base (EB) They are 90 pound (how do you say that in the UK, 90 quid?) More bass than this you probably wont get, or you must take the Sennheiser CX300 (25 pound)

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #6 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by theodouma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More bass than this you probably wont get, or you must take the Sennheiser CX300 (25 pound)

I've tried the CX400, bass is way too bloated (IMO anyway)... wonder if CX300 shares this same trait?

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #7 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhaninugraha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried the CX400, bass is way too bloated (IMO anyway)... wonder if CX300 shares this same trait?

They say it is..But what can you expect from a 25 Pound earphone? That it will give a decent, good and clear bass with a good punch?
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #8 of 47
THe C551's are meant to be quite bassy, but for an extra tenner I'd go for the 700's. Although they're slightly less bassy, they're suposed to be a good bit better than the 551's. Got mine coming next week.

I have found a couple of guys on ebay selling 551's for £45 though.

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by theodouma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They say it is..But what can you expect from a 25 Pound earphone? That it will give a decent, good and clear bass with a good punch?
tongue_smile.gif

oh well, I guess the price tag wouldn't lie... LOL
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #12 of 47
cheers for all the posts.

Yea I've read mixed opinions on the Super.fi 3 with regards to bass.
I've looked at the Super.fi 5 EB at "90 quid"
biggrin.gif
but again, it's a little too much over budget.

Are the Denon 551's more 'bassy' because they use a dynamic driver (if they do...) I read that dynamic drivers move more air.

Anyone have any opinions on the d-jays? I couldn't find a lot of info on these.
Also, the Etymotic ER-6i's I again read mixed opinions about the bass, what's the general consensus?

Nov 20, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by ls206 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cheers for all the posts.

Anyone have any opinions on the d-jays? I couldn't find a lot of info on these.
Also, the Etymotic ER-6i's I again read mixed opinions about the bass, what's the general consensus?

I very nearly bought the d-jays over my C751s until I started reading about the filters becoming clogged and requiring constant clearing/replacing. They do look fantastic though.

I played with some Ety ER-6is. Like the ER-4p it is all about the fit if you are after bass - and I couldn't do that comfortably. What made me decide for the C751s was a comfortable fit with bass without having to surgically attach it inside my ear canal.

Nov 20, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #15 of 47
I'm afraid they're still way over budget - the pound's not what it used to be...

I've just discovered the Denon AH-C452 for ~£60
they have a 11.5mm driver...I guess they fit in between the 351 and 551. I'm thinking they've aimed it at bigger bass with the bigger driver? .don't really know much about this stuff though..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back