Help me calibrate my turntable!
Jan 6, 2006 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

HollisBrown

Head-Fier
I need help calibrating a turntable I recently aquired. Before this i had an automatic turntable that didn't have any adjustments to make so I don't know how to calibrate this one. I have some pictures that I took.

I don't know what all the parts are so if someone could please point out to me what the counter weight is and the anti-skating adjustment and all of that is. Also, if someone want's to post a step by step tutorial on how to actually calibrate it I would be grateful. I also understand I need a phono stage to play records with it. I hooked up the aux outputs to the Phono inputs on my stere reciever and played a cheap record but there was this high pitched whine from the speakers that was almost as loud as the music. Is this a calibration issue or some sort of equipment that I need to purchase? Thanks for the help.

Jan 7, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 4
Nevermind, it doesn't work. I'm buying a new one, so I'll make a thread about that.

Jan 10, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by HollisBrown
I need help calibrating a turntable I recently aquired. .

When you say its broken what do you mean exactly? if you can play records on it and get music with a whine at the same time it sounds like some kind of feedback on your amp or possibly the earth connection isn't attached.
It looks like a pretty nice deck? is it a Dual? Looks like a CS505. If so it will be worth repairing if it is really broken. Look here

http://www.dual-reference.com/Contacts/SCmain.html

for service centres. If it is a CS505 it was on of the best budget turntables of the 80's and certainly it will be better than your existing Pioneer with a little setting up.

The Thorens TD160 in your other post looked like a good bet to me as well, certainly for the 125USD or so it went for. These decks are very easily upgraded and can outperform modern budget decks into the +1000 USD region and beyond with some tweaking.
If you are in any way technically adept, ie you can change a plug, then upgrading an old deck like this will give you serious sonic rewards for very little outlay.
If you just want an off-the-shelf solution go to a dealer and get something like a Music Hall / Rega Planar 2 deck. This will cost you a little more than 200 and won't include a phono stage but with turntables build quality is really important and modern decks in this pricerange won't be upto the same standards as what you can find 2nd hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back