HELP ME ....buying new headphones
May 8, 2004 at 6:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Surreal

New Head-Fier
Alright, so, i am in the market for some headphones (i know, obvious) and i REAAAAAALY want the sbchp1000's

i am pretty much all about soundstage and faithfull reproduction. i listen to all my sources at around 3(vol), so i really don't care about wattage. I want to hear bass properly, but i actually dislike it being overpresent (if my meaning comes across properly), and i prefer a good mix to sound like i am listening to the band play in a room (depending on the recording, big or small.)

i am willing to spend at most 250. i really don't think i need an amp...so that is without the cost of amp.

i have some old philips and all i remember abou them is 5-30000 frequency range. flimsy...well...not really, they lasted 3 years of unending use, but mostly plastic.

i would most likely use these cans for everything. everything. LoL
i make music in reason, i listen to cds and i would probably use it for every source possible, i prefer headphones to monitors or speakers but someone in this forum described the hp1000s as sounding like speakers due to their soundstage, which is EXACTLY what i want. (funny huh?)

but i can't find the flipping sbchp1000's ANYWHERE. i live in the U.S., and the only site that sells them is in switzerland and may or may not be legit (dvdupgrades.com).

any suggestions? better cans or where to get hp's.

May 8, 2004 at 7:14 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

and i prefer a good mix to sound like i am listening to the band play in a room

Quote:

i am pretty much all about soundstage and faithfull reproduction

Quote:

i am willing to spend at most 250.

Quote:

i really don't think i need an amp

Taking all your prevoius statements in consideration, I think your best bet will be Audiotechnia A900, they sell for $200 + shipping form audiocubes.com, they have a big soundstage, are pretty balanced with no frecuency overdone, they are the best unamp headphones under $200.

May 8, 2004 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 8
hmm, thanx for the input, and i firgured out (shhhh it was on the headband) that i had the hp550's

i am very satisfied with the sound, but they pivot broke. ...i just got done taking it apart and moving screws around (one is missing and a piece is broken) so that it will last. but i thought i should state it now that i have TRUE info..and the frequency range is 10-28000 :)

i will look and the a900s

May 8, 2004 at 7:20 PM Post #4 of 8
The A900 are great phones in their category, and may be perfect for the applications you mentioned. But I must admit, they aren't perfectly balanced--the mids are a bit recessed, for my tastes.

May 8, 2004 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 8
i second the a900's.

very low impedence, so they will sound good with no amp.

i thnk these things have a huge soundstage.

skitlets thinks they sound warm.

if you wanted more bass out of these, you can get an amp with a bass booster..

May 9, 2004 at 1:46 AM Post #6 of 8
i really dont think itd need more bass.....

May 9, 2004 at 11:23 AM Post #7 of 8
I gues it was me saying that about the soundstage, now they have a huge soundstage but than again that is their strong point (philips designed them for the soundstage), but the bass is missing and it is very leaden, also sometimes the treble was a bit too much although the strange thing was that it was not realy bright. Overall it sounded good enough and i would propobly have bought them if they had more bass.

but they cost 125 euro here in holland so for that price you get a very comfortable headphone that has for it's price a great soundstage that no other headphone for under 200 euro has.

but philips doesn't ship them to the usa, why? don't ask me becouse over here in holland i can't get the a900 which is very easy to get in the usa but impossible to get over here.

May 9, 2004 at 7:03 PM Post #8 of 8
now that i know what model phones i have,

anyone who has the 550 should understand what i mean when i say i want phones like these but better.

Drake, if you have listened to the 550's, do you think that the bass is less present in the 1000's? (in comparison betweeen the 550's and the 1000's)

because i LOVe the bass in the 550's. and i thiink i know what you're talking about with the highs, i didnt start noticing until recently that my cd player wasnt too loud, but my ears were feeling strained. only on certain mixes...some really good ones too, but it is forgivable because as you said, it isnt bright. and if you have listend to the a900's.....which would you recommend considering my preferences?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back