Help me buy my first Grados
Jun 28, 2007 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

BeNME

Head-Fier
Because of how loved the Grados headphones are on this and other sites, I've decided on getting a pair myself. I have HD595s, which are great for tons of various kinds of music, but I am now looking for some headphones dedicated to rock listening. As of now I do not have an amp, and I will be using these primarily with my Zen and my laptop.

Now the only problem is deciding which pair to get: SR60, SR80, or MS1?

Jun 28, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 16
Why don't you just pull the trigger and buy SR225. However, a lot of people will advice you MS2i as well. Unfortunately I can not recommend them, cos never heard them..
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeNME /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because of how loved the Grados headphones are on this and other sites, I've decided on getting a pair myself. I have HD595s, which are great for tons of various kinds of music, but I am now looking for some headphones dedicated to rock listening. As of now I do not have an amp, and I will be using these primarily with my Zen and my laptop.

Now the only problem is deciding which pair to get: SR60, SR80, or MS1?

Jun 28, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 16
SR225 is good starting point if you live in US. If outside of US, get any of the Alessandro products.

Jun 28, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 16
I heard that some people prefer the 60s over the 80s. The audio difference isn't magnified as much without an amp, i guess

Jun 28, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #5 of 16
Tough question. Although from a materials standpoint the SR-80 has a couple of potential advantages over the SR-60: The four wire connector instead of three, and the bowls, as used by all the other higher traditional Grados.

The MS-1 as a dandy for sure, but would it be too close to the HD595 in concept?

Jun 28, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #8 of 16
MS1 would be your safest bet. Assuming you haven't heard/worn a Grado before.

My personal preference would be the SR80, but I am a fan of bowl pads, and would pick any bowl padded Grado over a comfy padded one. I like my SR60 with bowls too, so much clearer and more airy than the stock comfy pads.

Jun 28, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #9 of 16
if you're just starting out with grados, it doesn't hurt to start on the low end to determine if you enjoy the grado sound then move up if you find that you do like it. both the sr60 and ms1 are good starting points and imo are a great value for headphones. i've recently picked up the sr60 and after having owned a fair number of grado cans, i'm still amazed at the sound quality offered by the sr60. and the best part is that it's only $69 and you won't be too out of pocket if you don't like them.

Jun 28, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #10 of 16
My vote is to skip Alessandro and go Grado. Grado is the best compliment to Senns IMO. SR60, SR225, SR325i are the prestige series to consider.

Jun 28, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #11 of 16
Would totally go with SR60 if it was $50. Even if you're not thoroughly satisfied with it, you could say that it at least warranted its price point and that (theortecially) should sound like a pair of cans a good $50 less from what the MS1's/SR80's cost.

It's not though. The MS1's are just $30 more. Might as well take the plunge, IMO. UNLESSSS someone here would argue that point and and state that their sonical differences would not warrant the $30 price difference. Though I very much doubt that seeing how much they're loved here.

Jun 28, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not though. The MS1's are just $30 more. Might as well take the plunge, IMO. UNLESSSS someone here would argue that point and and state that their sonical differences would not warrant the $30 price difference. Though I very much doubt that seeing how much they're loved here.

The MS1s offer a sonic difference with the SR60s only. Alessandros are not inherently better then Grados...to my ears, they offer a more balanced tonality, but have the same sound quality. And the MS1 is sonically less different then the HD595 then the SR60 is. Just because something is slightly more expensive does not make it necessarily better. Both the MS1 and SR60 are majorly hyped on this board. The SR60 would give you more difference then the MS1 would, if you're coming from the more expensive HD595.

Jun 28, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #13 of 16
Didn't think about that. Should have compared it to the SR80's then since they share the same sonical signature.

Jun 28, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #15 of 16
I recommend the sr 80's. I bought mine about 7 months ago and absolutely love them! Don't judge them too quickly out of the box. I've got about 300 hours on mine and they sound better and better all the time. They are truly great cans for rock music!

My next step up the Grado ladder will be the sr225's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back