Help me buy a new pair of IEMs!
Nov 29, 2012 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

TheRealCJ

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I haven't been here long (It's my first post!), but I have lurked here for quite some time.

Anyway, I started this thread because I've finally decided to bite the bullet and get a good set of IEMs. For a long time I've been buying cheap, disposable earphones that vary in life expectancy (the best sounding pair I've bought so far was a set of Ultimate Ears Metro.Fi 220s). And I've decided it's high time I got myself something of higher quality for everyday use.

So far, I've been weighing up my choices between:

- Ultimate Ears UE 900
- Etymotic ER-4P
- Shure SE425/SE535

I'm looking for something that will sound good with almost all kinds of music, from hip hop to classical, as well as a few weird outliers like Joanna Newsom or the Polyphonic Spree.

Please keep in mind that I'm planning to spend a lot more money than I feel I should on a good set of earphones, and the 500 dollar cost of the UE900s are the extreme upper limit of what I'm prepared to spend, so custom IEMs are right out of the picture, and I'd really like to get something that comes covered by an Australian warranty.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the Etymotics due to their relatively flat sound signature, and the fact that I can get custom earpieces for it (my left ear is pathetically hard to find a decent fitting IEM - Whenever I clench my jaw my left ear canal reduces in size by about 50%). My only problem would be the non-user replaceable cable - I have had far too many good head and earphones die because of the cable failing, usually at the jack. I would love to hear your opinions, and for any other Australians here to direct me to any decent resellers.

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #2 of 3
The Earsonics SM3 V2 is another top-tier IEM that sounds good with all types of music and you can get custom tips for the from the Eassonics website as well.  I think they'd be much better than the ER-4S or which ever ER-4 you get, they have a fuller sound with good bass that's not bloated and they're also quite neutral but not as much as the Ety's.  They cost a bit more than the ER-4 which is around $240 on Amazon and the SM3 V2 is $299 on Amazon but I think its worth the extra $60. 

Also the Ortofon e-Q5 and BA200 are 2 very good IEM's under $200 but the sound as good as the ones your looking at.  There's plenty of info on both so you might want to check them out as well and with the money you save you can get a nice amp or something.

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #3 of 3
I like the SE425 for a neutral sound, SE535 for a more fun/warm sound with great sound. Build quality and customer service is excellent from shure, and upgrade cables are easily available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back