help me buy a dac/amp
Dec 10, 2015 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

epicFAIL

100+ Head-Fier
Hi

I am thinking of buying a dac/amp for my sole headphones HD 518. I am really confused between :

Fiio e10k (under $100)

Fiio e07k (under $100)

portability isn't needed  however as i have read, hd 518's don't need amping. so can a dedicated dac be a better choice(in same price range, assuming there is one)

i wont be buying new headphones anytime soon.

How do i find out what sound card my laptops have? i can't find anything.

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #2 of 12
  How do i find out what sound card my laptops have? i can't find anything.

Generally you look at the motherboard and it's usually Realtek.

Whenever you consider buying a DAC it's generally because you hear buzzing/hissing/distortion with revealing headphones when they're plugged in and playing music or even when there's no music playing but still plugged in.

Fiio e10k is cheaper at Massdrop, see here.

Dec 10, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 12
Schiit audio has a great entry level Dac called Modi2. For 99$ it's a great bargain. Not to fimiliar with fiio Dac's.

Dec 10, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicFAIL /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am thinking of buying a dac/amp for my sole headphones HD 518. I am really confused between :

Fiio e10k (under $100)

Fiio e07k (under $100)

portability isn't needed  however as i have read, hd 518's don't need amping. so can a dedicated dac be a better choice(in same price range, assuming there is one)

If you buy a dedicated DAC, it won't have an output to drive a headphone. Both the E10K and E07K have a DAC and headphone amp circuit in them, the only difference is that the E10K is powered via USB, while the E07K uses the same power just for charging its battery.

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #6 of 12
  Generally you look at the motherboard and it's usually Realte

but i need it for  a laptop, the motherboard is usually behind a lot of panels separately. Isn't there an easier way?
couldn't  find anything on manufacturer site.

Quote:

If you buy a dedicated DAC, it won't have an output to drive a headphone.

HD 518 have 50ohms impedance. I've read they can get by without amp. But that's what i have read.

Quote:
Schiit audio has a great entry level Dac called Modi2.

man, if they were available here. by the way Icould have used that without an amp for my 518s?

Dec 15, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

HD 518 have 50ohms impedance. I've read they can get by without amp. But that's what i have read.

What that means is "hook it up to an iPod/smartphone/whatever's headphone output with no external amplifier," not "hook it up to any line output with no volume control." Even the crappiest smartphone has an audio chip that has an integrated DAC and headphone amp in it, in the same manner there are DACs that send the analogue output of the DAC chip through a line output stage like what you see on the arse end of a CDP but there are others like the E10K and E07K that feed the signal coming from their DACs through some kind of amp circuit, in some cases even just a chip designed specifically to drive headphones, like a Marantz CDP which routs the DACs' output into a small circuit board behind the 6.3mm headphone output in front.

Dec 16, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #8 of 12
E10K is powered via USB, while the E07K uses the same power just for charging its battery.

so if i am to plug in the dac for prolonged time to laptop, i would be better off with the e10k? because the battery on e07k would not be too happy if plugged in continuously?

New List :

Schiit Fulla

syba usb 2.0  24/96 (what is this dac?)

xonar u7 (looks like a gamer one)

bravo audio v2...DAMN

and of course the fiio lineup.

Dec 16, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

so if i am to plug in the dac for prolonged time to laptop, i would be better off with the e10k? because the battery on e07k would not be too happy if plugged in continuously?

If the E07K has a manual charging switch then you can disable charging until you drain it halfway. My Ibasso D-Zero has that switch but no display, but I've managed to use it for a few hours daily and haven't recharged in weeks.

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #12 of 12
purchased the e10k

will buy bigger later.
That's the way to go, enjoy what you have for now. Find something that's highly reguarded when you feel you want to upgrade and go from there. I've had a wnderful time experimenting with different gear. Enjoy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back