Help me build my SACD/DVD-A/Gold CD, and Mo-Fi/Audio Fidelity collection...
Jan 11, 2010 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ngower

100+ Head-Fier
So I've just completed my modest system. There is still a lot of room to upgrade, but for now it does the job.

So far the only higher quality CD's I own are the Pet Sounds 24K Gold CD from Audio Fidelity and Lightnin' Hopkins "Broken Hearted Blues" SACD, which is essentially a best of.

The Mo-Fi releases, particularly "Mr. Tambourine Man" by the Byrds, "Abraxis" by Santana, and the Pixies gold CD's all stand out.

As far as what music I enjoy, I've just started getting into jazz with Coltrane's "Blue Train" and Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" being my favorites. A Love Supreme didn't do much for me and I've got "Relaxin' With the Miles Davis Quintet" waiting to be opened. So a jazz recommendation or two wouldn't hurt, but keep in mind I'm not as well versed in it as I am with other genres.

My favorite music tends to be the post-punk/new wave/indie scenes with bands like Joy Division, The Smiths, Echo & The Bunnymen, and the Jesus and Mary Chain to name a few.

I also really dig some of the 60's and 70's pop/rock/folk. Dylan, Vashti Bunyan, Karen Dalton, Tim Buckley, Neil Young, David Bowie....I could keep going if need be but I think I've created a decent picture as to what I like.

I know these threads are all over the place, but most seem to be "Help me get into *music genre*"

Jan 11, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 6
Well....basically you can start looking into Analogue Productions, Audio Fidelity and the now defunct DCC for the best in sound. MoFi has some nice stuff as well. Also look into releases by Chesky, Pentatone, Groovenote, Reference, JSP, Mosaic and OJC.

If your considering vinyl, add Music Matters to the list.

More important than the label is the recording and mastering engineers. Look for the names of Steve Hoffman, Kevin Gray, Vic Anesini, Barry Diament, Bob Ludwig, Doug Sax, Bob Katz, Joe Tarrantino and Alan Yoshida. Seeing one or more of these names on release usually guarantees great sound.

For very specific "Wow...this is great" recommendations, check out the following:

Rebbeca Pidgeon - The Raven
Arne Domnerus - Jazz At The Pawnshop (2 SACD set)
Jacintha - Here's To Ben (SACD)
Bill Evans - Portrait In Jazz (OJC)
Bill Evans - Live At The Village Vanguard (XRCD by Alan Yoshida)
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium (Vinyl release by Steve Hoffman)
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (Legacy 2 CD Ann. Edition)
Miles Davis - Cookin' (DCC Release)

I think that should cost you a penny or two for now.
wink.gif
Let me know if you want more recommendations once you save more $$$.

Jan 12, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #4 of 6
I am currently winning 3 auctions for 3 gold cd's

Who's Next- The Who
Master of the puppets- Metallica
A night at the opera- Queen

I am thinking of buying Pet Sounds on amazon

update:

I just bought the Pet Sounds gold cd :p

Jan 13, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well....basically you can start looking into Analogue Productions, Audio Fidelity and the now defunct DCC for the best in sound. MoFi has some nice stuff as well. Also look into releases by Chesky, Pentatone, Groovenote, Reference, JSP, Mosaic and OJC.

If your considering vinyl, add Music Matters to the list.

More important than the label is the recording and mastering engineers. Look for the names of Steve Hoffman, Kevin Gray, Vic Anesini, Barry Diament, Bob Ludwig, Doug Sax, Bob Katz, Joe Tarrantino and Alan Yoshida. Seeing one or more of these names on release usually guarantees great sound.

For very specific "Wow...this is great" recommendations, check out the following:

Rebbeca Pidgeon - The Raven
Arne Domnerus - Jazz At The Pawnshop (2 SACD set)
Jacintha - Here's To Ben (SACD)
Bill Evans - Portrait In Jazz (OJC)
Bill Evans - Live At The Village Vanguard (XRCD by Alan Yoshida)
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium (Vinyl release by Steve Hoffman)
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (Legacy 2 CD Ann. Edition)
Miles Davis - Cookin' (DCC Release)

I think that should cost you a penny or two for now.
wink.gif
Let me know if you want more recommendations once you save more $$$.

Hmm, checked out all of those (with the exception of "Pawnshop...") and none really seem to fit my style of music.

I mean I enjoy some jazz, but I'm really only just getting into it. I'm more into the 60's rock and pop scene in terms of what is usually available on the higher quality formats.

Appreciate the suggestions but...ehhhhh

I'll look into the Blue Train SACD.

Jan 13, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by ngower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, checked out all of those (with the exception of "Pawnshop...") and none really seem to fit my style of music.

I mean I enjoy some jazz, but I'm really only just getting into it. I'm more into the 60's rock and pop scene in terms of what is usually available on the higher quality formats.

Appreciate the suggestions but...ehhhhh

I'll look into the Blue Train SACD.

It's all great sounding music. If you don't like the suggestions, then look into the record companies I listed. They release more than jazz you know.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back