Help me Build my FrankenPod!!!
Feb 23, 2010 at 8:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Trip.Rock.Post.Hop

New Head-Fier
sooooo, I initailly set out to find a DAC/AMP combo to use with my iphone and SR325i's. the Headphone jack is crapping out(no not from a ****ty bassinet to mini plug converter, but because apple planned it that way) which is lame because the only reason I bought it was because the headphone jack on my 30gig Video crapped out for the 4th time(i would have replaced the jack for a 5th time, but my phone decided to die on me as well that week)
this time around i think im gonna get a bit more innovative......

So that 30gig i got laying around, is still working through its dock.... i got a metal case from a 2005 20gig ipod which i want to empty and put some kind of DAC chip into, then for the third layer on this beast ima run it into one of those PERFECTLY SIZED ibasso T4's, then finally hit my cans.
that way i get almost twice as much room then the phone, HUGE difference in SQ, and if i want i could even hook this lil creature up to the phone too, via LOD
now....... am i just an idiot? is this possible? why has this not been done before? could i wire a line out cable directly to a DAC chip that i could build into this small encasing?

From what ive inferred, the ibasso T4 seems to suit my setup/budget/size/sound preference, but are there any other options i should consider?

Feb 23, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #2 of 3
So far attempts in the DIY forum to get the digital signal from the iPod before it hits the DAC have been unsuccessful. You might try a diyMod and then run the line out into a decent amp.

I have an iBasso T3 - which, despite the name, is the successor to the T4, and while I like it with my TripleFi 10s, I'm not sure it's the best choice for full-sized cans like the SR325i's. But maybe others in the portable amp forum could advice you otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back