Help me build a stereo system
Feb 23, 2006 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Trance-Addict

100+ Head-Fier
I was recently about to blow all my money on a pair of Grado RS-1's, a Ray Samuel's Emmeline 2 The Raptor amp, a Lavry Black DA10 D/A converter, and a yet to be chosen SACD player.

However I decided to buy a small stereo instead and this being a area I am unexperienced in a have run into problems. I decided to buy a pair of B&W book shelf speakers or used martin logans or anything in the thousand dollar price range. I know im going to bi-amp and probably buy a Dared SL-2000A preamp. So in my mind i see my setup like this...

SACD player >> DAC converter >> preamp >> amp(x2) >> speakers

1. my question is... Do i need the DAC? will it provide better sound? my belief is 'yes' it will provide better sound by using the digital out on the SACD player and bypassing the built in DAC of whatever SACD player I buy.

2. Is the preamp even necessary if im running a DAC inbetween my amps and source?

3. I have no idea what kind of amps to buy but I like tubes. Any recommendations? (looking to spend a thousand here too, I saw a pair of sound valve m40's on audiogon in this price range).

4. Is a monoblock amp for bass?

5. Is the Dared SL-2000A a good product?

Thanks in advance for having read this far and for any good info you might provide me with

-Ali

Feb 23, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #2 of 13
Ali,
I would advise you to go out an listen to A LOT of gear before you lay out this kind of cash on a stereo. Your questions are not bad questions (I will answer what I can in a moment), but they make it clear that you haven't spent a great deal of time listening to and learning about these components, and were I you, I would want to before I made a relatively major purchase. Preferences in this area are so personal, and there is so much subjective information flying around as though it were objective (and so much money invested in promoting some products over others) that there really is no substitute for auditioning.
Now, onto your specific questions:
1) As I understand it, SACD players do not output the SACD signal digitally. So, if your main media will be SACD's, the DAC is totally redundant, as you will have to use the analog output anyway. While I know there are many on this board who disagree with me, I'm inclined to believe you're better off going with a one box solution that does its job well. I would skip the DAC.
2)Unless your source has volume control, and you are careful to be sure that it's output impedance will work with whatever amps you choose, you need a preamp. Also, preamps give you the flexibility to move between multiple sources without hooking and unhooking all of your cables.
3)Listen. I have a pair of Audio Forte Model 1A's that I think are a pretty good bargain if you can find them, though they are SS.
4)Monoblocks are amps that amplify only one channel. So, for a conventional stereo setup, you need one stereo amp, or two monoblocks. For a biamped stereo setup, you need two stereo amps, or four monoblocks, etc. They are not specifically for bass.
5) I don't know much about the Dared, and have never heard it.
Hope this helps,
Jeremy

Feb 23, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #3 of 13
Listen to Jeremy - he is giving you some sound advice (pun intended). I would also recommend you go out and listen A LOT as well. Always remember that what you will usually be listening to is specifically configured to sound good for that location and your milage may vary. Once you see something you like (and which you can afford) take it home and try it out. If you don't like, return it and keep searching.

May I recommend you try out JBL 4311 speakers or JBL L100's. Also, McIntosh equipment is top notch.

Feb 23, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #4 of 13
thanks, I had no idea that SACD could not be played with digital out, now it makes sense why SACDmods is in business. My dad has a pair of Martin logan sequel 2's that he isnt using, i think im gonna nab them from him. I have read good reviews on the Dared preamp, so I guess all I need now is a SACD player and a couple of amps.

Feb 23, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #5 of 13
I really want to get a pair of studio monitors with ribbon tweeters and a woofer. I have a pair of M&K thx 550's i might use those for a while. But here in houston i havent seen many places to audition speakers besides tweeter, home theater store, and guitar center.

thanks for the info LFF, Im going to auditon some McIntosh's tomorrow.

the studio monitors at guitar center are appealing with their blue LED's and the looks are selling me
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremynwolf
Ali,
I would advise you to go out an listen to A LOT of gear before you lay out this kind of cash on a stereo. \

Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
I would also recommend you go out and listen A LOT as well.\

Everyone says this about speakers and headphones. Well I have no way to listen to a lot of systems because I dont know where. there are no stereo shops around here. The closest thing is best buy or circuit city. I dont know any people who have great sound rigs.

So the only way for me to try a lot of systems, is to buy and return which can be a huge hassel.
frown.gif

Feb 24, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #7 of 13
There's nothing wrong with using studio monitors -- they're still speakers, after all -- but keep in mind that they're more analytical (or should be, anyway). Also, if they're powered, then you won't need any amps, much less two. Your needs change. For example, when I was using my Mackie HR824's for listening, I needed a way to adjust the level, so I needed to put a mixer in place (adjusting the sensitivity is not the same thing).

Just curious: why are you L-bent on bi-amping? Not all speakers take to bi-amping well (bi-amping my old Spendor LS3/5A's did nothing). My personal opinion: you'd be better off spending the money on higher quality components (one amp, preamp, CD/SACD player, etc.).

That said, most powered monitors are internally biamped, these days.

Feb 27, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
Just curious: why are you L-bent on bi-amping? Not all speakers take to bi-amping well (bi-amping my old Spendor LS3/5A's did nothing). My personal opinion: you'd be better off spending the money on higher quality components (one amp, preamp, CD/SACD player, etc.).

That said, most powered monitors are internally biamped, these days.

I just found out about bi-amping and bi-wiring a few weeks ago and from what I have read the end results sound really great so I want to try it.

I wonder if I would get better sound from monitors or bi-amped speakers, I really need to listen to some stuff I guess. But I doubt I will find a store here in houston with bi-amped demo speakers.

I need some recommendations on a good amp and pre-amp preferrably tube.

Feb 27, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #10 of 13
thanks, I think I have decided to purchase Samson Rubicon R8a studio monitors and Samson R10s subwoofer. I will probably buy a denon SACD player and I think I still need a preamp or something.

Feb 28, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #11 of 13
jeremy you said that SACD players use analog RCA outputs, and I just started wondering how do you get 5.1 surround sound from a SACD using only rca outs?

Feb 28, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #12 of 13
That's awesome that you plan on getting into the hobby. You seem to have a rough idea of what you'd like to buy, but it seems as though you're relatively inexperienced. Make sure that you take a listen to the Logan's before buying them as they seem to be more of a curiosity than anything else. The planar type speakers like Logan and Magnepan are good, but you're paying a hefty premium for their appearance.

It would be wise to look into more traditional bookshelf or floorstanding type monitors in addition to the Logans. You can not only match or more than likely exceed the overall sound quality and accuracy of the planars but you will also end up saving money that can be spent on other things like cables (which are extremely, extremely important)--especially for your speakers. For example, my speaker cables almost cost as much as my speakers. Alas, if you end up really liking the sound of the Logans and have the money to spend than go for it.

Instead of getting two amps you can get one high quality amp. I used to have an Aragon 8002 that was incredible. This you can bi. You can pick these up in great condition on the used market for about $700. You mentioned that you like tubes, so this may not help you as the 8002 is solidstate. However, as far as tubes go and considering that you want to keep your costs down you will most likely be better off sticking to the used market.

If you're looking to build a system for the first time and money is an issue, McIntosh may not be the best idea as their stuff is admittedly awesome but very very expensive depending on what you're looking for.

Stick with it and be patient. Also, get used to ordering from the dollar menu if you decide to pursue this hobby lol
evil_smiley.gif
. Good luck, Ali.

Feb 28, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trance-Addict
jeremy you said that SACD players use analog RCA outputs, and I just started wondering how do you get 5.1 surround sound from a SACD using only rca outs?

By having 6 RCA outputs
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back