Help me build a solid 2.1 system on a budget.
Mar 30, 2008 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Brohken

100+ Head-Fier
So, I'm looking to buy a 2.1 system for my small studio. This will be used for the TV and for playing music (via my PC). I'm on a budget so this has to come in at ~$600.00. Here is what I'm looking at thus far:

JBL CONTROL1XTREME Personal Monitor Speaker System (Pair) - $74.99
JR.com: JBL CONTROL1XTREME Personal Monitor Speaker System (Pair) in Shelf Speakers:
These are cheap, but I've heard them and sound great!
JBLCONTROL1X.PNG

JBL SUB10 Venue Series Subwoofer - 159.99
JR.com: JBL SUB10 Venue Series Subwoofer in Subwoofers:
Don't know if this is a good sub, but 150w RMS seems plenty. There are alot of elderly people in the apartments around me so I can't have their floors vibrating.
JBLVENSUB10.PNG

Onkyo TX-SR505 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver ( Black ) - $299.99
JR.com: Onkyo TX-SR505 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver ( Black ) in Receivers:
My parents have an Onkyo receiver and it seems to get the job done. I've read that they are a great value.
ONKTXSR505.PNG

Thoughts on this would be appreciated. Also, there's a reason I'm pricing everything out at J&R- I live a few blocks from there.

If you can link me to the wiring I'll need there I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Mar 30, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #2 of 13
Also, I would love if the receiver had some kind of virtual surround mode (artificial 5.1). I know that's alot to ask for the budget, but it's nice sometimes. My current Sony DAV-X has this and it works well sometimes. Of course the speakers and sub are not all that great, and that's why I'm looking for a new setup.

SR3001 Dolby® Digital Surround EX™/DTS® ES Surround Receiver - $349.99
Marantz America | SR3001 Dolby® Digital Surround EX™/DTS® ES Surround Receiver
Will this give me what I'm looking for? SRS Circle Surround?
SR3001front_rdax_289x144.gif

Mar 30, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, I would love if the receiver had some kind of virtual surround mode (artificial 5.1). I know that's alot to ask for the budget, but it's nice sometimes. My current Sony DAV-X has this and it works well sometimes. Of course the speakers and sub are not all that great, and that's why I'm looking for a new setup.

SR3001 Dolby® Digital Surround EX™/DTS® ES Surround Receiver - $349.99
Marantz America | SR3001 Dolby® Digital Surround EX™/DTS® ES Surround Receiver
Will this give me what I'm looking for? SRS Circle Surround?
SR3001front_rdax_289x144.gif

The Onkyo has 'Theatre dimensional', which is basically virtual surround. Circle surround is something entirely different:Definition of the term: Circle Surround. Afaik the Marantz has no virtual surround option, and between the two I'd pick the Onkyo any day.

I'm not a fan of the JBL speakers, but they're not very bad.

Mar 31, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #5 of 13
ok so looks like im getting the onkyo SR505, Energy C200s and Energy sub. Looks like its gonna cost me under $600 total.

Thoughts?!

Apr 1, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #6 of 13
Spend most of your budget on the speakers! Maybe look at buying your receiver and or speakers through Audiogon. I have an Onkyo receiver and I am happy with it, but Marantz, Denon, and Yamaha are also good.

Apr 4, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #7 of 13
I ended up getting the following:

(2) Energy Mini RC
(1) Energy S8.3 Sub
Onkyo SR505 Receiver

I know it's too late, but what do you think about pairing these up? I received the Onkyo already. Plenty of connections!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #8 of 13
I don't know about those speakers. But I know that some vintage speakers found on ebay around similar price can still compete with big ticket modern speakers for sure...

Apr 4, 2008 at 10:50 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about those speakers. But I know that some vintage speakers found on ebay around similar price can still compete with big ticket modern speakers for sure...

I feel sorry that I did not see this thread until now.
Just return the onkyo to JR if you can.
Buy it refurb, directly from onkyo at
http://shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?prod...xt_war=1??????
for about $160. You get a $10 credit when u become a club onkyo member.

You will have about $450 remaining for your speakers.
Here's what I suggest: av123.com
Do some research on their forum. You will love their products... the looks and the sound.
On their FS forum: buy a pair of X-LS(about $200) and a X-sub(about $200). Believe me u will be very happy. OTOH you can buy a pair of sloorstanders from $350 to 450 and can add a sub later. Feel free to ask me any questions. Oh and please cancel those Energys.... they are OK, but nothing to write home about.
All the best...

Apr 4, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #10 of 13
I was just going to recommend a pair of x-ls encores and an x-sub.

I'm currently using a pair of Ref .5's from them with a gen2 tamp. I plan on getting the new gizmo when it comes out to power them and adding a sub.

Apr 4, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #11 of 13
Here is what I would do with $600.00

2 JBL 4311's - $200.00

This receiver.

Spend the rest on music.

Apr 4, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is what I would do with $600.00

2 JBL 4311's - $200.00

This receiver.

Spend the rest on music.

Ditto. That would make a HELL of a system, especially those JBL's

Edit: I have to say that I will be hard pressed to find those speakers for 200 smackers only...

Apr 5, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel sorry that I did not see this thread until now.
Just return the onkyo to JR if you can.
Buy it refurb, directly from onkyo at
Shop Onkyo
for about $160. You get a $10 credit when u become a club onkyo member.

You will have about $450 remaining for your speakers.
Here's what I suggest: av123.com
Do some research on their forum. You will love their products... the looks and the sound.
On their FS forum: buy a pair of X-LS(about $200) and a X-sub(about $200). Believe me u will be very happy. OTOH you can buy a pair of sloorstanders from $350 to 450 and can add a sub later. Feel free to ask me any questions. Oh and please cancel those Energys.... they are OK, but nothing to write home about.
All the best...

well too late. and i dont want a refurb unit. thanks.

speakers are on their way. should have them monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back