Help me build a new system! Need help selecting source/dac especially.
Nov 14, 2011 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

kingmajix

100+ Head-Fier
OK guys, I've been going in circles with all the research I've been doing and reviews I've been reading so I thought I'd reach out for help. Please help recommend a system for me!

Current setup: iStreamer ->K.I.C.A.S. Caliente->LCD-2 Rev. 2
I've noticed recently that using my cheap Panasonic Blu Ray player as a source actually sounds better but it is a huge hassle for me to listen to, hence wanting to redo my system.

This is to be used on a desktop with some space constraints, would be nice if the components were around 9" wide if possible. Here are the rest of the details:

-Budget of $2k or less (going that high would hopefully include a new amp as well)
-Exclusive use with headphones
-Source I'm open to one of two ways: either a CD player with a (hopefully digital direct) USB to be able to plug in my iPod or something that would allow me to use my iPod as source exclusively
-I'm also potentially open to using a computer as source but my comp/sound card isn't great and upgrading seems to be a hassle so I'm not enthusiastic about this option
-Music preference is beat heavy: instrumental hip hop, DJ Shadow, Flying Lotus, etc. and some electronic music like Dubstep, Nero, Skream, etc.
-I love bass! The KICAS has treated me well so I'm open to keeping it but I'm also open to switching. I haven't really ever gone the tube route because I want a hard hitting low end.

Let me know what you think! Here are a few ideas:

Pure i20 -> new DAC -> existing KICAS amp
Pure i20 -> integrated DAC/amp (like Burson or DacPort?)
CD player with iPod usb (like Marantz CD 6004?) -> amp
Peachtree iDac -> new upgraded amp

I feel like there are millions of options out there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back