Help me build a nearfiield "desktop" audio system
Apr 27, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #16 of 20

Quote:
I've wanted to experiment with placement and a method to help isolate the speakers from the desktop.  Unfortunately due to room constraints full size stands are out.  Acoustic treatment is something I'm interested in (and know nothing about in practical terms) but I want to wait until I'm not in a rental.  Any thoughts or suggestions on something for vibration dampening would be appreciated within the limitations imposed by the environment.

I'm no expert when it comes to acoustics, but you may even try to use some kind of thick cloth under the speakers, to experiment with the differences. Or use books to lift them up from the table, i'm sure it will make a difference. Try it, it won't cost ya anything :)

At least when I lift my speakers even 20cm from the table, the muddiness of the bass disappears and the sound is thoroughly more refined and clean.

Have you ever tried to place the speakers in a place, where there are no reflective surfaces close to the speaker? Try placing the speakers on your bed for example. You might be surprised how much of a difference it will make on sound quality.

These could be good for isolating the speakers from the table, at least i've seen some guys use them. I haven't read much on those(vibration pads) so I don't know which brand is best etc. But that is the kind of thing you are looking for.

Im sorry for constantly linking to genelecs, but this graph will give you a really good idea of how big difference small things can make:

Apr 27, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #17 of 20

Quote:
I've wanted to experiment with placement and a method to help isolate the speakers from the desktop.  Unfortunately due to room constraints full size stands are out.  Acoustic treatment is something I'm interested in (and know nothing about in practical terms) but I want to wait until I'm not in a rental.  Any thoughts or suggestions on something for vibration dampening would be appreciated within the limitations imposed by the environment.

I have a pair of these: http://audioengineusa.com/DS2-Desktop-Stand-Pair

They angle the drivers towards the ears, dont have a huge footprint, offer isolation from the desk because they are made of a plasticky kind of rubber, and they are cheap enough that they make for a decent experiment :3 

Apr 27, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #18 of 20
http://www.sweetwater.com/c405--Active_Monitors

Take your time - I am.  
wink.gif

Apr 27, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #19 of 20

Quote:
Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus ($600) to Focal Solo6 Twin ($2,400)

Only problem is you would have to spend another 2.4k for the other speaker...

If I had a 3k budget, I would go with a couple of the Focal Solo6 Be studio speakers and a Benchmark DAC 1. It is a bit over budget, but I was never any good at budgeting..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back