Help me Build a Classical Collection through BMG (yourmusic)
Aug 4, 2008 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

evanft

500+ Head-Fier
I've been meaning to get into classical music for a long, long time. Everything that was regarded as good that I've heard I've enjoyed very much. The problem with classical, though, is that it can be a bit unwieldy to get into for a beginner. I'm now a member of the BMG Music club, though, giving me access to a multitude of titles for cheap (when there's a sale, of course).

So, given this fact, what from BMG's selection would you recommend? I'm looking for great performances and great sound. I'd prefer not to have the same pieces over and over again, especially if they don't differ too much. I'd also like to avoid discs that really only offer the best of that piece(s) at BMG, while there are others that tower over it. I'm not sure what my tastes would be, as I've liked stuff from a variety of composers, but throwing in a description couldn't hurt.

I've already bought these from the clearance section:

Helene Grimaud-Credo
Hilary Hahn-Bach, Violen Concertos

because they were both so well-reviewed and they only cost me $4.78 a piece. I'm also giving a good look at these box sets:

Mitsuko Uchida-Plays Schubert
Mitsuko Uchida-Mozart: The Piano Concertos
Vladimir Horowitz -The Complete Recordings On DG
Istvan Kertész-Dvorák, The 9 Symphonies
Riccardo Chailly-Mahler: The Complete Symphonies 1-10

They're all priced at prices slightly below or well below what one would pay at the Amazon Marketplace, assuming I wait for a free shipping deal. I've heard good things about all of them, and I believe the Kertesz set is especially well-regarded. I have a single-disc of Horowitz that I've been meaning to give a serious listen, so I'll definitely do that soon.

Aug 5, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #2 of 7
I really like the Decca recording of Charles Dutoit conducting the Montreal Symphony Orchestra in Saint-Saens 3rd Symphony. I checked and BMG has it. There is another work on the disc, but I can't recall what it is. Others on this site have given a general approval of the Dutoit/Montreal pairing, but I have never heard anything other than the Saint-Saens.

I don't know where to get consistently reliable reviews of classical works online. Word of mouth has been fairly reliable for me. I don't know if the Penguin Guide is still published, but it was a mile thick and contained tons of reviews. You might want to look for it. Good luck.

-Tiger
580smile.gif

Aug 5, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #3 of 7
I also made this thread at the Steve Hoffman forums. Here are the recommendations so far:

Stephen Kovacevich-Beethoven: Diabelli Variations (Remastered)
Leonard Bernstein-Mahler - Symphony No. 5
Takács Quartet-Beethoven: The Early String Quartets
Sviatoslav Richter-Richter The Master, Vol. 5: Schubert Sonatas
Steven Lubin -Beethoven: Piano Concertos And Sonatas

I've read elsewhere that these are also supposed to be quite good:

Anne-Sophie Mutter-Vivaldi, The Four Seasons
Ben Heppner-Wagner: Selections From The Ring
Benjamin Britten-Britten - War Requiem (Remastered)
Carlos Kleiber-Beethoven, Symphonies Nos. 5 & 7
Claudio Abbado-Mendelssohn: Symphonies Nos. 3 & 4 "Italian" (Remastered)
Colin Davis-Handel, Messiah
Colin Davis-Haydn, 6 "London" Symphonies
Emil Gilels-Brahms, The Piano Concertos
Giuliano Carmignola-Vivaldi
Karl Böhm-Mozart, Symphonies Nos. 35-41
Karl Böhm-Wagner: Der Fliegende Holländer
Kirill Kondrashin-Rimsky - Korsakov: Scheherazade (Remastered)
Maurizio Pollini-Beethoven, The Late Piano Sonatas (Nos. 28-32)
Rafael Kubelík-Smetana, Má Vlast
Sir Colin Davis-Berlioz, Symphonie Fantastique
Valery Gergiev-Prokofiev - The Complete Symphonie

That Prokofiev apparently won some awards.

Aug 14, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by pufftissue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone still use BMG for those free cd's? Really? Still we use those?

No. I just take the codes, write them down, put em in a dream box, and then burn it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back