Help me begin my journey to headphone paradise ($750 budget). Need some recommendations.
Nov 30, 2011 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

NimbleRabit

100+ Head-Fier
This is probably going to get away from me and become rather long, but in the interest of being thorough and getting the best recommendations possible I'm going to be long winded today.  If anyone sticks it out and reads this, thanks, and if not that's understandable.

It's been a few years since I first found head-fi, and I finally have a good idea of what I'm looking for in my headphones.  It really does seem to take some time to adjust and learn -- this definitely isn't something you can just jump into and figure out right away.  I think it's interesting how when I first started I just sort of assumed there were worse headphones and better headphones, and you just had to figure out which ones were the good ones.  Now I understand it's all about preference and taste.  I suppose most things are that way, the more you learn and the deeper into something you get, the more you come to learn that nothing is perfect.

Every purchase I've made blew me away at first, and initially seemed liked the pinnacle of sound.  But as I spent more time with each item, I grew to understand the things I liked about it as well as the things I disliked.  I'm now at a point where I have an idea what I want, but I'm unsure which headphones I should try to get me there.

What I'm looking for:
Clarity, detail, and speed are very important.
Good instrument separation and transparency.
Crisp, clear treble.  Perhaps slightly bright is the word (sparkly sounds true to me, even though I'm not 100% on what it means).  Just below the level of being sibilant, near the edge without going over (sibilant prone tracks would be sibilant).
Tight, controlled bass.  I prefer good extension and quality over quantity, with fast impact and decay.  That said I don't want something overly anemic (e.g. ad700).  I feel more is better where possible, just as long as it meshes well with the overall sound and doesn't become boomy or interfere with the mids.
Midrange should be balanced well with the rest of the phone, perhaps slightly forward and definitely not recessed.  I enjoy a touch of smoothness or thickness in the mids, but nothing overwhelming.
I want to mention speed again, this is something I've discovered I really enjoy.
Comfort.  Obviously this is subjective, but I wear my headphones for hours at a time and want something pretty damn comfortable.

Because I've learned everything is about compromises, I'll also put what things don't appeal to me or aren't as important to me.  I'm willing to sacrifice on these to gain the parts I do like where needed.

What I don't like or care about:
Large amounts of bass.  The phone doesn't need to have a lot of bass.
Not a fan of too much of a mid-bass hump.  To me this tends to make things sound more bloated and have more bass than needed, while making it harder to appreciate the rest of the bass that's there.
Soundstage.  I like some amount of soundstage, but it's not a high priority by any means.
Naturalness/Timbre - I'm not especially concerned with the sound being "correct".   I don't play any instruments and have found I can easily adjust to things not being quite right, or slightly artificial.
Isolation/Sound Leak.  This is not a factor for me, since I use IEM's in any situations where these would matter.

Music I listen to:
I listen to lots of metal, rock, symphonic/melodic metal, pop, alt rock, indie, electronic, and some hip-hop.  Basically a wide range of genres, but I don't listen to much classical or jazz which I feel I should mention since those are pretty big around here.

Budget and Source:
My source is currently an Audinst HUD-MX1, a combined DAC and Amp.  I'm open to headphones that require a better amp or dac than this if needed, but I'll have to factor that into my budget.  My max budget is $750 right now, perhaps I can spend more later on source components.

Current Phones:
I currently have an MS1000 (modified MS1).  To me the MS1 is pretty good and has a lot of qualities I like.  At the same time I feel that there is a bit too much of a mid-bass hump on these which can be a bit overpowering.  Some of this might have to do with the MS1K mod, but even before the mod I just think the bass left something to be desired. They also don't have the level of detail or clarity that I want.  It's hard to compare full sized headphones and IEM's, but my CK10's are much more in line with what I'm looking for in the detail and clarity department.

I wish I could just go down to a store and try out all the wonderful headphones people talk about here.  It's so frustrating to only be able to make a decision based on others opinions and thoughts, but sadly there aren't any physical locations near me to try out high end headphones (that I know of).  Perhaps I'll try to buy used so that I can resell without much loss, and begin the journey to find my personal headphone nirvana.  Anyways, if you're still reading then you really are a patient person . . . thanks for putting up with me.  What headphone would you recommend?

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 16
I thought beyer T1, but US price is unfortunately very high, or try an used version.

W1000x is also excellent, but sometimes sibilant with woman voice.

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #3 of 16
Denon D5000 + a hearty amp to make them sing for a couple hundred bucks might be a good solution.

Seems to match the criteria and genres.

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #4 of 16
I don't think T1 will drive very well in audinst though.

i am in the same situation with you.
excatly the same, in fact.
i also have an audinst rig, 
i got a srh840 paired with it.

i did lots of research and chose HD650 in the end (still have not bought it, still saving money for it) 
it will cost you around $350-400, and you can use the rest (or save a bit more money) and buy a better amp to drive it.
i chose the bottlehead crack to drive it, still haven't arrived yet, but apparenly it pairs very well with hd600/650.

and of course d5000 is always a good choice

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 16

You sound like a 100% fit as a Grado candidate!

Forward, sparkly, vivid mids, slight mid bass jump to kick the kick drum hammering along.
 Super fast, clear, extended.

Grado Grado Grado! 

Best thing is that you won't need much to splurge on an amp to get the best out of
 even the most expensive Grado's in the lineup.

Your Audinst is fine ~ Something like a Beyer T1 will need $750 alone just on the DAC
and amp to really sound like the flagship that it is.

Here's two that will suit

Grado 325i - $295USD

Grado RS1i - $695 (top of the line, the 325i is the most aggressive)

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
I don't think T1 will drive very well in audinst though.

Yes, my fault, I thought he had an amp and not a computer.

But I think that he should start with a small amp and buy a good headphone, not necessarily a T1, but it's just that T1 had what he wanted.

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
You sound like someone who should have the Hifiman HE-500, in every way.

I ll like to try it too
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #9 of 16
For something that ticks all of your boxes - Beyer DT880.  Then you'd need to pair it with a really good amp.  Tubes do help to bring fwd the mid range a bit.  I won't specify an amp - because there are other owners here who have far more experience than I do.  I know that the DT880 250ohm I had sounded great on my NFB-12 (which is quite a warm SS amp), and were also marvellous on my PortaTube.

I would have said HD600 as well - but the DT880 has better speed IMO.

DT880 = quite balanced, great extension both ends, extremely comfortable, good soundstage and dynamics.

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
What I'm looking for:
Clarity, detail, and speed are very important.
Good instrument separation and transparency.
Crisp, clear treble.  Perhaps slightly bright is the word (sparkly sounds true to me, even though I'm not 100% on what it means).  Just below the level of being sibilant, near the edge without going over (sibilant prone tracks would be sibilant).
Tight, controlled bass.  I prefer good extension and quality over quantity, with fast impact and decay.  That said I don't want something overly anemic (e.g. ad700).  I feel more is better where possible, just as long as it meshes well with the overall sound and doesn't become boomy or interfere with the mids.
Midrange should be balanced well with the rest of the phone, perhaps slightly forward and definitely not recessed.  I enjoy a touch of smoothness or thickness in the mids, but nothing overwhelming.
I want to mention speed again, this is something I've discovered I really enjoy.
Comfort.  Obviously this is subjective, but I wear my headphones for hours at a time and want something pretty damn comfortable.

Sony SA5000.

Perhaps the addition of a tube amp if you'd like a little more warmth.

Dec 1, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
Sony SA5000.

Perhaps the addition of a tube amp if you'd like a little more warmth.

I see in your signature that you have the DT880's which were recommended by somebody else.  Would you recommend the SA5000 over those?

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
I see in your signature that you have the DT880's which were recommended by somebody else.  Would you recommend the SA5000 over those?

You can't go wrong with either, from your description both phones would stack up very well. I wouldn't consider the DT880/600 without an OTL tube amp, my preference is with the DV336i because of the rolling capabilities, there performance to price ratio is unbeatable. The Sony is much easier to power although much like the Beyer it will benefit from a warmer amp but I find it's an easier headphone to enjoy, certainly the wow effect is present with any half-decent amp. In addition to them being easier to drive they're the first headphone I think of when someone mentions clarity, detail, and speed. The Beyers are no slouch in that department but the SA5k is second to none, I would take the Sony over the HD800. For what it's worth I've had the SA's in the past and just wanted a different sound signature for a while, I was contemplating picking up the SA5k again soon.

In this instance I would advise against headphones like the HD600 and HD650 as they're less aggressive and more relaxed sounding, they can be referred to as veiled for this very reason. The HD800 is a huge improvement but as I said above I still prefer the the Sony SA's. From reading (no personal experience) the HE-500 might be similar in that it's more relaxed, the HE-6 is said to be much faster but it's a pain to drive properly. The Denons; D5000 etc are completely at the other end of the scale.

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #13 of 16
For extreme detail, clarity, transparency, and speed, the SA5000 is leaps and bounds ahead of anything I've heard. Two thumbs up. 

Dec 1, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #15 of 16
Thanks for the recommendations guys, I've been doing more reading on the phones mentioned and I'm really liking what people have to say about the SA5000.  I'll keep an eye out in the for sale forums, this definitely sounds like something I should try out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back