Help me become immersed....
Jan 28, 2008 at 5:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Giudecca

Head-Fier
I am looking to get back into things. I have taken a year off and now am possibly ready to invest in an amp and some nice cans. As the title says, I would like to become immersed in my music. My original goal was to do this with a set of nice speakers, but my wallet and living arrangements are preventing this from happening.

My main music interests are Electronic, Rock, and Classic Rock, with some Classical from time to time. Currently I have a set of DT770/80's but am looking for something more. I enjoy the closed aspect of the 770's but will also consider an open can. I have been thinking along the lines of the HD650, but am not sure if they are the best for the type of music I enjoy.

Please give me some ideas for cans up to $300 range and an amp that will make them sing.

Thank you.

Jan 28, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #2 of 10
I have been reading for the past few hours and it seems that my choices will be the Grado 225's, Senn 650's, or ? As for an amp I like RSA's amps and the Hornet would be the one I go with as I have read that it will power the 650's fine.

Any other suggestions?

Jan 28, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #3 of 10
It's pretty hard to cover both Classical and Rock/heavy rock, because headphones generally do well in one or the other...
I currently use use RS225s for rock, and K701s for classical -powered by Bada PH-12
K501s are great phones for classical but it's very difficult to drive - not too sure Hornet would be sufficient.
As for 225s I find them too difficult to wear due to comfort issues, but I have a big head.
225s sound amazing for rock genre, but doesn't go well with classical music.

Jan 28, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 10
I'd also look at the HD 600s and someting like a Mini cubed or Pico as alternative amp options.

Jan 28, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #6 of 10
Grados are little better, but your 770s should be all right as well. I havent tried electronica on most of phones I've tried...AT A900s are fantastic because their deep, extended bass, but that goes for 770s as well.

Jan 28, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #7 of 10
I would recommend a PICO for portability or a desktop amp especially with the HD650. They need the power to sound good and especially to control the bass. I have not tried the PICO yet, but for cheaper then any new RSA amp, you should be able to get a Gilmore Lite or Darkvoice that I would bet be more likely to get you "immersed".

You know what. Thats my thousandth post.

Jan 28, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #8 of 10
You never exactly specified if you were looking for a portable/desktop amp. I'd recommend to go with tubes straight from the start, seeing as a Darkvoice, etc., would not cost much more than an RSA Hornet and deliver more performance for the money.

Jan 28, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You never exactly specified if you were looking for a portable/desktop amp. I'd recommend to go with tubes straight from the start, seeing as a Darkvoice, etc., would not cost much more than an RSA Hornet and deliver more performance for the money.

X2 I used to own Meier Corda Arietta for my K701s but I upgraded them to BADA PH-12 and sold Arietta the next day.
As skylab said before, " go tubes, young man
biggrin.gif
"

Jan 28, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aura /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I spose this would be a desktop module, I dont have too much of a chance to use portable devices on a regular.

I have always thought about going tubes but never looked into them. Thank you for that suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back