Help me become a audiophile - Portable headphones, earphones and in ear monitors
Sep 26, 2011 at 5:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Midnightcoffee

New Head-Fier
[size=11pt]Greetings,[/size]

[size=11pt]I don't want to give the impression i haven't searched for answers, i have and i'm, but everyones circumstances are unique and i'm trying to gather some specific advice to my situation.[/size]

[size=11pt]I'm attempting to become a audiophile, by which i'm playfully saying someone who loves music and actual invests time and money in respecting it. I'm going to be posting in several forum threads in order to isolate the different aspects of this process but some common theme's will remain to each section.[/size]

[size=11pt]My music preferences are largely: trance with vocals and post hard core. I also listen to a lot of audio books (but i doubt that will change anything)[/size]
[size=11pt]My music listening time is:sitting,computer games,TV watching (a wireless option would allow this)driving, walking, running and intense exercise (punching/kick bags, down-ups, weight lifting, etc...) i’m largely mobile when i’m listening to music.[/size]
[size=11pt]My current equipment is my Droid X - I had hoped to keep this as my source player as i take a lot of phone calls through out the day.[/size]
[size=11pt]My current music library is mp3’s i downloaded from itunes.[/size]

[size=11pt]I had three solutions before i threw out this plea for help[/size]

[size=11pt]Solution A: Sleek Audio CT7 and their wireless adaptor then use a mic adaptor from monster.[/size] = 650ish + audiologist 50 = 700
[size=11pt]Solution B: Etyomatic HF2 + Sennhesier PMX 680[/size] = 200ish
[size=11pt]Soluction C: Etymoatic HF2 + Fx-Sport (not yet out)[/size] = 300ish

[size=11pt]My Budget for my process of becoming an audiophile is max 1,000-1,500. Which needs to encompass (i assume) a DAP (unless the community thinks my droid x is sufficient), portable amp (i assume...), and a pair of headphones or IEMs (i’m leaning towards iems or custom iems)[/size]

[size=11pt]So a general question common to all is what percentage of money should be devoted to what (DPA. amp, headphones/iem) to maximize my goals? [/size]

[size=11pt]Keep in mind that mobility is important to me :)[/size]

Update - it seems the logical thing to do is the upgrade 1 piece at a time starting with headphones/iems. Which my budget for i think should be max 1,000.

[size=11pt]my specific questions concerning [/size]headphones/iem

1. Given my broad range of activities should I buy more then one set of headphone.
2. Should i give up a particular feature like having a mic on the wire? or exercising with customs (i was assured this was ok by several custom iem makers) or wireless?
3. Finally what Headphones/IEM’s suggestions are out there for a budding audiophile? How about my original thought of getting the sleek CT7’s? I like the IEM idea because its more discrete. And especially like the custom IEM idea because of comfort and stability

4. How do you find out your "sound signature"?

Sep 26, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #2 of 13
I'm sorry.No offense but spending copious amounts into audio gear does not make you an audiophile. That would mean a guy with a cheap pair of headphones who enjoy music from that pair of headphones specifically would never become someone who loves music. Who says you cant enjoy music out of a cheap rig? sure you wont get all the crystal clear sound or heavy but controlled bass or other people out there might find it horrible or stupid, but what's important is that you enjoy what you're listening to.

I hope you get what i'm saying. Just my 2 cents.

Back to your questions. The division of your budget is plainly up to you. If you're just aiming on one IEM/can , i'd advise you to get a more expensive IEM and a cheap and good match amp for it. DAP wise the sansa clip + always frees up budget by being cost effective and bang for buck and is good enough imo. Regarding your phone, if you like how it sounds then you're good to go. Oh and if you're still looking, you could always just get a top tier universal, and once you're ready to upgrade, reshell it and + drivers. Its also another option you can consider

Sep 26, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #4 of 13
You can buy highend custom IEMs like ES5, JH13Pro, UM Miracle with quality DAPs like HM-602, HM-601, Sony X1060. These IEMs will match better with above DAPs and the soundquality willbe amazing. The universal IEMs simply can't match the highend custom IEMs, so i will recommend the ES5 or JH13Pro with HM-602 and the results will amaze you.

Sep 26, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #5 of 13
What a  Powder Keg of a thread
popcorn.gif

I would say, do Solution B and save yourself a lot of money. HF2 are fantastic IEMs, and pmx 680 are the best sport headphones I've ever used (but you have to take them off to bench, do situps, etc).

Then when upgrade-itis sets in, you can get your customs... but experiment first with cheaper gear so you can find your signature preference.

Sep 26, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 13
Holy hell, a $1,000 limit 
eek.gif

There's a lot of things you can do with that much money, and I don't think it should all go towards a portable rig. Since you are new to this site/audiophilia, I would suggest going with a cheaper rig.

Maybe pick up a J3 or iPod Touch (G3 or 4) and buy some cheaper, but still amazing, IEMs, like the EX600 or GR07. It's all about experimentation in audio. You have to know what you like first before you blow copious amounts of money on something you might not like 
wink.gif
. Hell, I've just now settled on the EX1000's haha. 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 26, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #7 of 13
I'm relatively new at Audiophilia as a whole as well and i have gone through a multitude of headphones before finding ones within budget that blew me away (Return policy is a wonderful thing) ,   but with 1000$ well....i mean it's a lot of money and the choice has to be made wisely, the Shure SE535s may be a good starting point in high end audio equipment as it's well within the price range and leaves loads of breathing room for the other necessities in a high quality portable rig. 

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
Holy hell, a $1,000 limit 
eek.gif

There's a lot of things you can do with that much money, and I don't think it should all go towards a portable rig. Since you are new to this site/audiophilia, I would suggest going with a cheaper rig.

Maybe pick up a J3 or iPod Touch (G3 or 4) and buy some cheaper, but still amazing, IEMs, like the EX600 or GR07. It's all about experimentation in audio. You have to know what you like first before you blow copious amounts of money on something you might not like 
wink.gif
Hell, I've just now settled on the EX1000's haha. 
rolleyes.gif

Some sound advice, which I wholeheartedly second. 
smile.gif

Apr 21, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #9 of 13
I am going to make this simple if you are still checking this thread- buy the B&W C5!  They do not fall out or lose the in-ear seal during strenuous activity and the sound is excellent across the audio spectrum- clean and detailed with a noticeable bass emphasis.  In my opinion, these are the best sounding workout buds you can buy for under $200.

Apr 21, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
I am going to make this simple if you are still checking this thread- buy the B&W C5!  They do not fall out or lose the in-ear seal during strenuous activity and the sound is excellent across the audio spectrum- clean and detailed with a noticeable bass emphasis.  In my opinion, these are the best sounding workout buds you can buy for under $200.

Why would he be checking this over 6 months later? Don't waste people's time by bumping old threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back