Help me a pick an endgame IEM
Jan 24, 2023 at 8:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

gallionetech

Head-Fier
Hey all,

My name is Robert. I'm new here & new to the audio world. I've been posting a lot on ASR, however I'm getting a bit overwhelmed by the objective vs subjective feedback so I'm trying out Head-fi :).

I'm looking for an "endgame" IEM. I have no budget. I'd like something that meets the following criteria:

- Maximum isolation (preferably custom)
- Size doesn't matter too much, just nothing abnormally huge.
- Removable cables is a must, but type (mmcx, 2pin, etc) does not matter
- Needs to have deep bass
- Best frequency response possible
- Objectively performant without being "dry" sounding.

I also want something I can drive with a small portable dac with my Pixel 7 Pro so I don't need to carry around a DAP.

Let me know what you would purchase if you were me.

Thanks in advance!

Jan 24, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 13
Any endgame IEM will have removable cables nowadays.

The Sony IER-Z1R (MMCX cable) is widely praised here and elsewhere as the bass lover's endgame IEM. But it's large, and some people cannot abide the fit. Google around for reviews, and try one from a dealer that will allow returns.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #4 of 13
Unique Melody MEST MKII/Indigo/ Multiverse Mentor, and Empire Ears Legend Evo are all worth researching or purchasing.
What are your thoughts on the Empire Ear Odins?

Jan 24, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #5 of 13
I've never tried them. I honestly wonder what they sound like myself.

After purchasing a MEST MKII. I'm not certain how I managed without Bone Conduction being a prominent feature in my IEM of choice. If you enjoy quality Bass and visceral impact... You' d probably want an IEM that has Bone Conduction implemented. It may make sense to wait for the conclusion of the first few CanJams to see what else gets released into the wild before purchasing anything.

Jan 25, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #6 of 13
You've set some quite challenging criteria. I hope you don't mind a few thoughts...

Isolation
You don't necessarily need a custom IEM to get excellent isolation. If you find tips that fit well and the IEM is fully sealed, you're likely to find the isolation is better. However, you may experience some pressure build-up due to the lack of any venting. Fully sealed IEMs don't bother me and I find them much more convenient when travelling.

Sources
All IEMs will scale and perform better with better sources, imho. You don't need to go crazy, but do consider the synergy between DAC/amp and IEM. Do you want Bluetooth connectivity or are you happy with a USB-C cable from phone to DAC? I'd go for something that offers Bluetooth for the additional flexibility, such as the Qudelix 5K, Fiio BTR7, iFi xDSD Gryphon (depending on IEM), or Shanling UP5.

Some Options
Personally, I'd look at FiR Audio XE6 or KR5, Subtonic STORM, Lime Ears Anima, Unique Melody Multiverse Mentor, Empire Ears Odyssey or Odin. I've tried all those except Odin so have a least some experience with them. There are plenty of other excellent IEMs out there though.

If you're able to attend a CanJam event or visit a few stores, it will help you narrow down your list. Check out the individual threads relating to IEMs that catch your eye too. Good luck and enjoy the journey.

Jan 25, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #7 of 13
You've set some quite challenging criteria. I hope you don't mind a few thoughts...

Isolation
You don't necessarily need a custom IEM to get excellent isolation. If you find tips that fit well and the IEM is fully sealed, you're likely to find the isolation is better. However, you may experience some pressure build-up due to the lack of any venting. Fully sealed IEMs don't bother me and I find them much more convenient when travelling.

Sources
All IEMs will scale and perform better with better sources, imho. You don't need to go crazy, but do consider the synergy between DAC/amp and IEM. Do you want Bluetooth connectivity or are you happy with a USB-C cable from phone to DAC? I'd go for something that offers Bluetooth for the additional flexibility, such as the Qudelix 5K, Fiio BTR7, iFi xDSD Gryphon (depending on IEM), or Shanling UP5.

Some Options
Personally, I'd look at FiR Audio XE6 or KR5, Subtonic STORM, Lime Ears Anima, Unique Melody Multiverse Mentor, Empire Ears Odyssey or Odin. I've tried all those except Odin so have a least some experience with them. There are plenty of other excellent IEMs out there though.

If you're able to attend a CanJam event or visit a few stores, it will help you narrow down your list. Check out the individual threads relating to IEMs that catch your eye too. Good luck and enjoy the journey.
Thanks for this super helpful!

Quick question, I'd like to use my phone as the source if possible when traveling so id like a DAC/amp thats pretty portable & also need something that I can use on the go with my M1 Macbook Pro 14". My phone is the Pixel 7 Pro.

Do you see any issues with using something as simple as the DDHifi TC44A? Or do you think its worth springing for a good DAP such as the SP3000?

I'm attending the Florida Audio Show in February, however not sure if there going to have many IEMs to try there. I haven't been able to find any hifi stores in florida.

Thanks!

Jan 25, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #8 of 13
Even if money is no object, if you're new to the hobby, you're still better off trying or buying a few well-reviewed, popular, cheap-ish IEMs to try out and see what moves you before graduating to the endgame level. This is the time to experiment and discover new things without a big investment in money or time. No one but you can tell you what it is you'll love. And the more you know about what it is you actually love (and don't) about audio, the more specific and better contextualized your "ask" can be, and the better the community can help you. Most folks on here want the "best frequency response possible" but they won't agree on what that term means. Personally, I think Harman has too much ear gain or emphasis on upper mids/lower treble. Harman, according to their target, would say by definition I'm an outlier. Even objective review data has to be interpreted subjectively by your music tastes, ear shape, listening environment, and tolerances for certain frequencies.

Jan 25, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #9 of 13

Quick question, I'd like to use my phone as the source if possible when traveling so id like a DAC/amp thats pretty portable & also need something that I can use on the go with my M1 Macbook Pro 14". My phone is the Pixel 7 Pro.

Do you see any issues with using something as simple as the DDHifi TC44A? Or do you think its worth springing for a good DAP such as the SP3000?

I'm attending the Florida Audio Show in February, however not sure if there going to have many IEMs to try there. I haven't been able to find any hifi stores in florida.

Thanks!
I'm hesitant to recommend JH Audio because variable tuning may not be everyone's cup of tea but they are based in Orlando. They do have IEMs with some Thump.. There may be a few stores in Florida but I would suggest looking at the authorized Dealers page from the manufacturers website. I personally owned a Layla and Angie at one point in time. They were good IEMs. I second CanJam and local meets as well.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #10 of 13
I can maybe help with this topic as I have the Odins and have tried some other IEMs.

The Sony Z1R-IER has the best bass around, not even the Odins come close, but they do lack a bit of midrange which sucks for most normal listens. Odins have a great FR but are a bit forward in the midrange, you can sometimes even hear it depending on the song. Can be described as fun while being correct.

The Odins are quite large and go relatively deep, so passive noise isolation i found to be great, no comfort issues for me.

Are they worth the money? I really don't think so, but i still love my pair :D

Jan 25, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #11 of 13

Thanks!
I think @PopZeus is right to suggest you look at mid-fi options before diving in too deep. You can audition gear at shows but that will only give you a limited impression of what you like in terms of presentation, stage, bass / mids / treble e.t.c. Living with an IEM and/or source for a while will give you time to try different music and work out what suits your library and personal tastes. You may discover you like different IEMs for different genres, or just for a different style of presentation.

If you're set on one endgame IEM straight off the bat, I personally would NOT go custom. I have one set of custom IEMs that are now about 7 years old and massively over-shadowed by current IEMs that are significantly less expensive. Customs are nigh-on impossible to sell whereas you'd recover a significant proportion of your investment if you stick with universals and decide to sell on. Just my view, of course, and it depends on your ear anatomy too.

In terms of the TC44a vs SP3000.... wow, that's quite a leap. The TC44 looks too delicate, imho, so I'd still recommend something a little more robust. The iFi Go Blu is tiny and a pretty cool device, so I'd recommend you take a look. As for SP3000, it's massive, heavy, and really not portable in the true sense. "Transportable" but not pocket-friendly. Sounds brilliant with the right IEMs, but compromised in terms of portability. I wouldn't go any bigger than a HiBy RS6, Shanling M6 Ultra, iBasso DX240 or Fiio M11 Plus if I were looking for a portable DAP. And that's at the top-end of the size / weight category, imho.

As with every hobby, you're going to encounter diminishing returns as you move up the price range. Is a $1K IEM twice as "good" as a $500 IEM? Not often, and only you can decide where to stop. There are some really competent IEMs around the $250 mark, loads of excellent ones from $500-$1000, and then you start getting into the area where one is not necessarily "better" than another, but just "different".

Jan 25, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #12 of 13

Thanks!
You should change your plans for the Florida Audio Show and go to CanJam NYC Feb 25,26 as most of the TOTL IEM’s will be there to listen to plus many others. Yes this is a added expense but buying blind on a couple of multi $K IEM’s that you really don’t care for and wondering about a $3,700 Dap just saying.

Jan 25, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #13 of 13
I own about 15 pairs of iems and ciems
If you want consistent iso and best sound always custom is it. Now yes the in and out is not fast but the sound is very consistent where universals can be great but tips are a mind field from fit to sound adjustments and you will most likely never know how they should or really sound if not custom. Now you can tune a bit with tips as well.
the real question is what kind of sound you love ?
Um makes a good iem and has many sound types. Some types are better suited to certain genre
if details is above all aroma iems are it
There fiagship is e stat and a detail monster
Not light on low end but if you like to shake your ear drums they’re not best.
Um multiverse is also a detail monster but an earth shaking low end
so is this accurate well no but it’s very detailed and not bloated. Now I’m 65 years old so if your young it maybe Brite
But I am an audio phile all of my life both are not Brite to me and not harsh
Next up is source as you move up the food chain source becomes an absolute
So bad source is bad sound on detail monsters where an irm
Less detailed has to better on less setups. This concept applies to all high end audio
Headphones, speakers and iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back