Help making a Banzai V2 Cmoy.
Aug 29, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #16 of 35
I got a new opamp, a LM358A and better battery connector wire and it works in that I get sound out of only one channel and a lot of crackling when I put the headphone jack in and out.

Aug 30, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #17 of 35
Bump to see if anyone has an idea about how to get sound out of both sides of a headphone
dt880smile.png

Sep 2, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #18 of 35
I just built this amp tonight. I had to resolder the headphone jacks a few times. Wiggle them on the pcb and see if you hear crackling, then try resoldering them? Worked for me. Try multiple sets of cans. First pair I tried had a bad cord and I only got one channel. This is yhe first time I've ever attempted anything like this or soldering at all for that matter. Fun project, neat amp!!

Sep 3, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #19 of 35
I hope somebody helps Rock Man with his problem. I will also be starting this one soon (in addition to the JDS labs) to compare one with the other. Could you give us an update? did you fix it?
Bough 3 Altoid tin cans today. Now I have to eat them all 
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #20 of 35
I will do XrufX's suggestion sometime over the weekend and report back.

Sep 5, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #21 of 35
I am almost certain it is the jack socket, I think it is faulty inside, the soldering is fine. Maplins appear to sell a similar one for 99p. At this rate, I would have been better getting the parts from Maplins and just using the circuit board.

Sep 8, 2010 at 5:21 AM Post #23 of 35
what opamp did the kit come with? if it's not the same as the one you have now, it may not be specced for the same voltages or something like that.

^that's just a shot in the dark, if that was from some list of approved opamps to replace the current one with or something like that then nvm.

Sep 8, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #24 of 35
My mate checked the specs of the new opamp in comparison to the old. The wiring diagram for both was the same and the only difference was the new one goes to a higher voltage.

Sep 8, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #25 of 35
Wiring diagram for nearly every op-amp in the world is the same. That's important, but it's other details that can bite you.

On the off chance that someone's bored enough to check them, can you link the sheets?

Sep 8, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #26 of 35
We did it in the shop, my mate knows about this stuff. I'll try.

Sep 8, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #27 of 35
if you really suspect the jack to be the problem though, try wiring it directly to the input one and see if you have any issues like that. it's always better to test and be sure than to just assume and end up wasting more time/money chasing nothing :)

Sep 9, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #28 of 35
Just finished my Banzai  v2. It sounds great for 20 dollars.
At first could not get any sound until I realized I had not installed the opamp! It came with the JRC 4560D OpAmp.
It even powers the DT880, although not the best amplifier for the Beyers with somewhat bloated bass. It can drive them pretty loud with some distortion at unhealthy volume levels. Nice with IEM's though. I am pretty darn happy to have finished it!
Next is JDS labs, then the eXStatA! 
L3000.gif

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #29 of 35
Did you ever build a JDSlabs amp? I built the Banza V2, and I'd love to hear how they compare to one another. I'm itching to build another amp, but I'm not ready to plunk down $200 for a nice kit.

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #30 of 35

Quote:
Hmm....that looks like a very unprofessional PCB build......

EDIT: I mean the PCB itself, not the soldering job....sorry.

Could you please explain what you mean? This is the only CMOY kit I've ever built, and I don't know what a "professional" PCB would look like. Is it the arrangement of the board? Location of the components? The quality of the actual caps and resistors?

I'd like to learn more about this stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back