Help! Looking for over ear recommendatons for under $150
Nov 29, 2014 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

CaffieneRemnant

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Firstly, what a 'find' this site is! Thanks to everyone, I’ve been trawling it all day and amazing info here, I’ve learned a lot! So, although I’ve been researching, I keep jumping back and forth between which headphones to buy so maybe, it might be easier to hold my hand up and ask for help?  Any advice is appreciated! I don’t know a lot about the techy side to be honest.

So here’s what I need:

coffee

beer

Holiday

Sorry.. wrong list! ;p

Over ear Headphones for use on a mac/ipod while I work (65 Ω) but will consider on ear also though I’d prefer noise cancellation.

In order of importance:

Sound quality of course : ) but not too much booming bass, a nice balance between ranges. I listen to post-rock, contemp/classical mostly but also electronica and old 80’s goth! :D

Comfort: I wear headphones 6hrs+ so I need them to be soft, not clamp hard and not get hot.

Non-leather and pref as eco as possible, if at all! (I know but I try!)

50mm drivers (I’m not sure if it makes that much of a difference than 40mm? But It’s just one thing I look out for.)

My budget is $100-$150 for now, I know I know but I’m broke! :) Also, seeing as I’m using them on an iPod, should I even bother spending this much?

I’d rather not have to buy new pads if possible.

I’ve been looking at:

Sennheiser HD 380 Pro Collapsible High-End Headphones

Shure SRH440 Professional Studio Headphones

Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear

Takstar Monitor Hi-fi Headphone HI 2050 only $53!

Rise Up Over-Ear Headphones EM-JH063-BD these are only $49!!

Sennheiser Orpheus (kidding!!)

Thanks so much! : )

Nov 29, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #2 of 14
Hey, welcome CaffieneRemnant!

Predicting comfort is very tough, but I've found the Momentum over-ear to be lightweight and comfortable.  
I have a hard time with on-ear headphones as they tend to push my ears against my glasses and that
usually bothers me.  In general I find the Sennheiser models are often comfortable for me. And the Senn
PX-200s are so light, you hardly know you have them on... and they perform well. Another option.

The Sennheiser HD-280 PRO models have a very tight clamp, in my experience.  But just looking at
HD-380 PRO design makes me think it is going to be way more ergonomic, but alas have never tried them.

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 14
Some have no problem with glasses+headphones, but others do.  Like I said, for me it is the 
on ear models that tend to give me problems.  Everybody's different.

If you don't have store options, then I recommend that you buy from someone with a return
policy.  I hear that Amazon does this.  Since there's no way to know if the fit is going to
be acceptable, that gives you an option to return.  Lot's of time you can tell right away
-- or at least within the first day -- if it's going to be a problem.

Dec 1, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #6 of 14
The AKG K271 MkII I picked up for $110 are incredibly comfortable.  Come with both pleather and velour pads.  And they are quiet... dead quiet, I can't hear anything happening in the office when I have them on.

The sound is good quality, but it's flat and neutral... there aren't really peaks in bass or treble.  I happen to prefer that, but for some it doesn't feel alive.   For me, the heavy bass or treble is tiresome, so again for wearing them 6 hours a day they are ideal.

I mostly listen to electronica trance music when at work just for the fast beat and lack of lyrics to distract me.   Otherwise my music selection tends to fall more into adult contemporary stuff to classical and jazz.

They are huge, and not really portable if that's a concern.   I'm going to build a little stand out of cherry to hang them on when not using them when I get the chance.

Dec 2, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #7 of 14
Hey Steve,

Thanks so much for that! Will have a look at those! Most of my music is lyrics-free and I guess I'd rather flat/neutral than bassy or tinny trebles.

I love this site and have gone off on a tangent looking at amps etc! Although it seems the set you recommended does ok w/o amp?

I think I just have to bite the bullet and get a set.. see how it goes, return and/or upgrade as need be!

Appreciate the reply and help! : )

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #8 of 14
Yeah, the K271 is pretty easy to drive, and they're only 55 ohms with a 104dB sensitivity.   I mostly use them off my MotoX cell phone and I keep the volume around 30% and it's plenty loud.

I did buy a Soundblaster E1 to try... When I tried it at home it seemed something was wrong, but at work it seems to be an improvement over the laptop.  For $32 I figure I might as well keep it.

Dec 2, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #9 of 14
So I had a look at the K271 and wow they are big! Not so sure if that'll work as I'd like to use them when traveling as well.

I seem to keep coming back to these three:

Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Professional Studio Monitor Headphones, still big but I'd rather over ear than on ear for noise canceling. $150

Superlux HD668B Dynamic Semi-Open Headphones, not so sure how much leakage semi-open is, I wouldn't want to disturb anyone else though. $45

Takstar Monitor Hi-fi Headphone HI 2050 I saw a video review someone else had posted here and it was really good! I also like the velor, they look comfy! $67

Also this one but would I trust a refurbed set? Hmmm.. Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Limited Edition 32 Ohm Headphones $155

Thanks again Steve, I still have a ways to go yet in learning!

Dec 2, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #11 of 14
Also found this amazing post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_DT880

GULP! I may never decide!
biggrin.gif

Well, yes.  Most of us enter the head-fi dungeon and wander, lost, for the rest of our lives. 
I keep thinking, if I pick up enough treasures as I go, then I'll eventually find my way out.  
beyersmile.png

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #12 of 14
I don't have too much listening experience, but we both listen to acoustic music! : D

I use the Beyerdynamic DT 660. Often it is sold at a price around $150.00 (on amazon) even though retail is actually $250.00. I listen to baroque, renaissance, and classical music. I am very pleased with these headphones. They are a little on the bright side, so if you wear them for 6+ hours you may be inclined to take a break from listening. Also, if you listen to any music where an impactful/boomy bass is preferable, these will not deliver. You may have to replace the earpads after a couple of years, because velour is not built to last. They are quite comfortable from a clamp force standpoint. 

One problem...they are a bit big. You can travel with them if you are willing to lug them around. Once I took them around on a road trip when I was passenger

A pair of headphones that has a similar sound and comfort level would be the Martin Logan Mikros 90. Currently they sell at $90.00, though that is only temporary. I love listening to them, even though they are on ear headphones.

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #13 of 14
Well, yes.  Most of us enter the head-fi dungeon and wander, lost, for the rest of our lives. 
I keep thinking, if I pick up enough treasures as I go, then I'll eventually find my way out.  
beyersmile.png

LMAO! A warning should be posted for new members, it's too late for me..I've already started calling headphones 'cans' and my skin has turned even paler! ;p

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #14 of 14
I don't have too much listening experience, but we both listen to acoustic music! : D

I use the Beyerdynamic DT 660. Often it is sold at a price around $150.00 (on amazon) even though retail is actually $250.00. I listen to baroque, renaissance, and classical music. I am very pleased with these headphones. They are a little on the bright side, so if you wear them for 6+ hours you may be inclined to take a break from listening. Also, if you listen to any music where an impactful/boomy bass is preferable, these will not deliver. You may have to replace the earpads after a couple of years, because velour is not built to last. They are quite comfortable from a clamp force standpoint. 

One problem...they are a bit big. You can travel with them if you are willing to lug them around. Once I took them around on a road trip when I was passenger

A pair of headphones that has a similar sound and comfort level would be the Martin Logan Mikros 90. Currently they sell at $90.00, though that is only temporary. I love listening to them, even though they are on ear headphones.

Great! Thanks Alex! I'll add those to the list, I think even though I just broke my last pair and stuck using IEMs (which are disgustingly awful!), I'll wait a couple of weeks till I know what I want. Worse case, I get two pairs and choose between. I have a feeling I'm gonna start getting addicted to this mission! oh wait.. too late! ;p
Thanks again for you help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back