HELP!! Looking for new gear
Jun 4, 2007 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DeadlySpoon

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I dropped by here. I foolishly thought I'd be forever content with my ATH-SJ5's. They're still fantastic, and I love them, but...

I need something new. Something MORE.

This all started when I debated getting myself a set of 5.1 speakers for my laptop. I then realised I didn't want to have anything too loud, because I'd be mainly listening to music in the dead of night or while studying. So naturally I ditched the idea and decided to come back to good ol' Head-Fi.

Lots has changed since I was last here, including a shiny new raise, a massive tax return that should get here soon, and the loss of the girlfriend. So now, I can afford to upgrade my pitiful home setup, and won't get yelled at for it.

Right now, at home, it sucks, audio-wise. I have a little iHome alarm clock / iPod dock, but other than that, just the stock speakers for my laptop. And the headphone jack for my iHome doesn't even work. Sooooo I need / would like to get the following:

-Laptop sound card (there's a couple of PCI slots or something like that on my laptop, so, y'know, something to take advantage of those would be nice)
-Headphone amp
-Some good cans, better than my SJ5's, open or closed doesn't really matter because I'll just be listening to them from my room. Comfort is a major issue for those, because I tend to have extensive listening sessions.
-IEMs, to use as my biking/workout/summer 'phones (the pleather pads get hot on the SJ5's, which is great in the winter, not so much for the summer)

Any suggestions? My budget is around 600 USD, probably split up with 200+ for the home headphones, 100 for the IEM's, and the rest between the amp and the soundcard. Of course all this is flexible, if I could get stuff for less than that it's be great (what with the student budget and what not), I just want suggestions because I have no clue where to start.

Cheerio,
DeadlySpoon

Jun 6, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 7
I don't think iems would be good for biking/working out or running because the isolation could get dangerous and microphonics, sweat and all of that good stuff. I would recommend getting some ksc75's for portable everything and spend the rest on a good set of phones and an amp like a hd650 or a k701. just my 2 cents

Jun 6, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recommend AKG.

biggrin.gif
I didn't knew you were going to suggest an AKG Fitz
tongue.gif

Just kidding ofcourse ...

I would say for ~$200 a Grado SR225 ...

Jun 6, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by epaludo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif
I didn't knew you were going to suggest an AKG Fitz
tongue.gif

Just kidding ofcourse ...

Well I was going to suggest Sennheiser at first, but then I thought on it more and changed my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back