Help...looking for good heatshrink tubing
Jun 12, 2009 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

indydieselnut

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for some quality heat-shrink tubing to finish up some cable projects. I'm looking for:

Black & Red colors
Relatively thick-walled
1/2" size (need about 12-14mm I.D.)
Adhesive-lined

I've also seen tubing that has a more "matte" finish once shrunk...almost like it has a rougher texture...not too slick looking. The matte look is what I'm going for.

Also - I'm looking at the Nylon Microfilament stuff from Techflex for sleeving...anyone have good/bad experience with this?

Sorry if these are noob questions...that's what I am!

Thanks!

Jun 13, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #4 of 9
Tenzip - good point, I should have shared the wealth
smily_headphones1.gif
I found everything I needed at Cable Management and Wire Organizer Products from CableOrganizer.com. They appear to have good quality double-walled, adhesive lined, 3:1 tubing and were one of the only places I found (in a relatively short search) selling the Nylon Multifilament sheathing, which, as their description helpfully reminded me, is NOT expandable (so pick your diameter carefully).

They also had 6:1 shrink tubing for stuff like power cords (fitting over the Wattgates) and all the measurements were helpful.

There ya go! How's the Grado clamp project going?

Jun 13, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #5 of 9
I like cableorganizer because they'll ship cheap. Them and wirecare.com have lots of great stuff, cableorganizer is #1 for heatshrink and wirecare because they are the official dealer of Techflex, has the most styles and the lowest minimum lengths for order.

Jun 14, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by indydieselnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There ya go! How's the Grado clamp project going?

I have a prototype pair on my head at the moment, that was made by the prototype/toolmaker at work. He had lots of lathe 'real' work to do, so he had time to fiddle with my crude example and verbal/napkin design on the mill while the lathe ran.

It's turned into a complete replacement for the plastic block on the end of the headband, with a thumbscrew for keeping the rod from sliding, but still able to pivot. There's enough resistance to keep them from turning 'freely', but they are easily turned by hand, while being locked from sliding up and down. We used a socket head cap screw to hold the headband into the block, but I want to use a small flathead instead, so it doesn't stick out.

Next step is to talk to the guys in the machining department after that.

Jun 14, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tenzip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a prototype pair on my head at the moment, that was made by the prototype/toolmaker at work. He had lots of lathe 'real' work to do, so he had time to fiddle with my crude example and verbal/napkin design on the mill while the lathe ran.

It's turned into a complete replacement for the plastic block on the end of the headband, with a thumbscrew for keeping the rod from sliding, but still able to pivot. There's enough resistance to keep them from turning 'freely', but they are easily turned by hand, while being locked from sliding up and down. We used a socket head cap screw to hold the headband into the block, but I want to use a small flathead instead, so it doesn't stick out.

Next step is to talk to the guys in the machining department after that.

Great work! Don't forget me, I'm in for some of these once you get past the prototype stage...

Jun 14, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by indydieselnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great work! Don't forget me, I'm in for some of these once you get past the prototype stage...

I haven't forgotten you. You'll be amongst the first to know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back