Help, looking for best IEM's under $150
Jul 18, 2008 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Pabs128

New Head-Fier
Hello I'm a new member but I have heard this is a reputable headphone site...

Right now I'm looking to buy my first IEM(because all the headphones I have are "open" and have no noise isolation) but I also want some quality(and I have been informed to not expect quality in these kinds of headphones under $80)

Well currently I have both the Koss KSC35 and 75, I also have the Porta Pro's and the SR80 Grado's(they're great)

so here are my choices:
Shure 110
Shure 210
I pick these because I have heard they're the most comfortable of them all, but I've also heard that I can get more quality in others...

Please if someone could tell me which ones I should buy?
my main concern is comfort and sound isolation, I already have good quality headphones, but I can't really wear them in noisy enviroments...

Thanks

Jul 18, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 8
There aren't too many IEMs more comfortable than Westone UM1. And they retail for $109. You can find them cheaper.

Jul 19, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pabs128 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
while researching some people said the westones were horrible....

But aside from that, how's their quality?

Some people say SE530 and ER4P are horrible too
eek.gif

If you can slurge another $30 the jump in SQ from a $150 iem to $180 open up a lot more doors. I found UM1's pretty bland sounding. Not bad...just not real exciting. However big brother UM-2 can compete with anything. But a Super Fi Pro for about $175....NOW your talking about a big musical sound. Or try to find a used iem with little use to save more money.

Jul 19, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some people say SE530 and ER4P are horrible too
eek.gif

If you can slurge another $30 the jump in SQ from a $150 iem to $180 open up a lot more doors. I found UM1's pretty bland sounding. Not bad...just not real exciting. However big brother UM-2 can compete with anything. But a Super Fi Pro for about $175....NOW your talking about a big musical sound. Or try to find a used iem with little use to save more money.

Which do you prefer, UM2 or Super-fi?

Jul 19, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #6 of 8
Also, you could save a little more and get a pair of Sleek SA6s. I only say that because the Sleeks are fine IEMs, with modularity. A real step up from the Shure 110/210s, and some higher priced IEMs as well.

Jul 19, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 8
What is your price range? I'm not a fan of the SE110 or SE210, they aren't great performance value for their price. If you could stand to upgrade to the SE310s, you'll be much happier. The second armature does wonders for the sound. I would recommend the SE310s or UE Super.Fi 5 Pros. If you want a less balanced sound with tons of base, the Atrio M5s are pretty well regarded.

Jul 20, 2008 at 11:06 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by oak3x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which do you prefer, UM2 or Super-fi?

UM2 by a pretty good margin. There is a great wow factor with SFP when coming from cheap earbuds. Everything is improved quite a bit. But when compared to the high-end stuff/triple drivers, SFP is not that close. The bass is somewhat loose and sloppy and the highs are tough on the ears especially at higher volumes. Somewhat harsh, siblant and grainy. UM2 is closer to that high end sound than it is the SFP (mid line). Fit wise UM2 by a mile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back