Help Looking for All-Around (Portable) Over Ears
Dec 19, 2013 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Timewarptrio

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a basic pair of headphones for cheap (<$50?). I would primarily use them while on the bus, in school, gaming (primarily Battlefield 4), and a little at home while doing homework and the like. I'm not looking for anything bass-heavy, although I do listen to some electronic music. Portable is preferred because I will bring them on the bus just about everyday.

My shortlist right now is: Sennheiser PX 100-II, Superlux HD668B, and Panasonic RP-HTF600-S.

I was considering saving up for a bit to get the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 for around $90 on sale, but I figured that I should get a cheaper pair first, in case they get damaged or lost.

Which should I get, or should I get something else?

Dec 19, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #2 of 8
M50's aren't gonna be fantastic for gaming, but they are solid at music, albeit in more bassy genres. Superlux's are semi open, so they will leak quite a bit. 

Dec 20, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #5 of 8
I'm used to low-end earbuds so I don't mind hearing some sound around me, and I've never considered noise canceling/isolating headphones. Do they typically sacrifice quality in another area for the noise cancellation?

And it sounds like I should avoid the HTF600, but what about the other two?

Dec 20, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #7 of 8
  I'm used to low-end earbuds so I don't mind hearing some sound around me, and I've never considered noise canceling/isolating headphones. Do they typically sacrifice quality in another area for the noise cancellation?

And it sounds like I should avoid the HTF600, but what about the other two?

JVC HA-S680 might(?) work for you, $81.

Jan 5, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #8 of 8
I'm back, and I still haven't made the decision yet. I'm now willing to go up to around $75, although that's still kinda pushing it. 

Due to your recommendations I'm now leaning towards getting the Logitech UE6000's while this dented box deal for $70 is available on the Logitech site (is a dented box safe?).
I have three questions about it, though: Does the mic work on PCs? How is the sound stage to play a game like Battlefield 4? Just how bad does it sound in the noise cancellation mode?

Also, I'm no longer considering the choices in my previous short list, but now I'm thinking about the Creative Aurvana Live and the Creative Aurvana Live and the Superlux HD668B. Any opinions on those?

Edit: I just noticed that the deal on the UE6000's ends on the 6th, so I went ahead and got them now. I'd still like to hear what everyone thinks, though! Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back