Help? Looking for a replacement.
May 15, 2011 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

LouisLoh

100+ Head-Fier
Hello head-fiers, 

I've been using my iPod Touch with my DBA-02s for some time. Now that there's a problem with its audio jack (the right channel is significantly softer than the left, and I have checked the DBAs against other players to confirm that it's the iPod's fault), I do feel like switching to a new rig, especially since I'm already quite sick with the iPod Touch's sound. My options are as follow:

1. Sansa Clip+

- I would prolly miss the screen and UI of the iDevices
- Not as future-proof as my other option (in terms of external DACs compatibility, which are limited to iDevices only for now AFAIK)
+ Cheap and portable (it will be unamped)
+ Good out of the box sound
+ A perfect short term solution

2. iPod Classic

- Expensive
- I do not need that much space (160GB is the only available option now)
- For my entire rig to materialise, it requires utmost patience (due to affordability issues, I'm still a conscript who will be doing my undergrad studies a year from now) from me :p as I deal with stock iPod Classic sound (which is still better than Touch's) for prolly years?
+ More future-proof, I intend to build my portable rig around an iDevice (prolly with an LOD + DAC [Solo or Fostex?] + AMP, and whenever necessary a new IEM/headphone)

Any other suggestions?
A change is pretty urgent as the muddy Touch is killing me by the second, and I only get to enjoy civilian privileges, like shopping the malls, during my weekends.

May 15, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #2 of 4
which touch is it? I think either EQu or Equalizer apps gives you the option to balance each ear independently.

cowon j3 is also popular with headfiers

May 15, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #3 of 4
iPod Touch 3G with iOS 4.2, yes I can use EQu, but I haven't tried the option aforementioned.

Let me characterise the jack problem a lil. My iPod's prolly been through a couple of showers and at times the home and power buttons get a lil cranky. I'm not sure if the audio component is also damaged by the moisture. As such, volume of the right channel varies with insertion, with full volume at around half-insertion and 3/4 volume at full insertion. I wonder, should it be a hardware problem, if software tweaking really gets to the root of it, and whether it would lead to failures of other hardware components including my IEMs.

Also, I do not quite like the idea that EQu is a separate music player on its own. I prefer to use the stock player that came with the Touch. 

May 15, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #4 of 4
Ah, it is the equalizer app (settings>equalizer>stereoEQ)-just checked. I used to use EQu but now use Equalizer,more accurate.

An LOD could be a solution...possibly. But then you`d need an amp.

So I guess its cowon J3 or X7, sansa clip+ or ipod classic 120gb or ipod touch 4g(many like the 4G sound better than earlier models)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back