Help looking for a new headset budget is $100 - $400
Nov 28, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #17 of 27

Quote:
Soundstage in closed headphones vs open headphones aren't even debatable.
none matches even semi-open ones.

Oh, it is debatable sir. We're not taking about surpassing. We're talking close and equivalent. And saying they can't even match semi-open cans just makes me wonder what you've actually tried. I've tried many headphones that are semi-open that did not even have the sound stage of the Denon or SRH940 for example. So yes, it's debatable. Making something into an all or nothing approach here is really odd. I'm only being critical about it since you were trying to make reviews of headphones and trying to get some to review when you're taking approaches like this. Consider it just constructive suggestion. Clearly we all just think what we think. But you're quite dismissive of the idea of sound stages actually being good in closed headphones. I'm truly confused how you can own the SRH940 and think a semi-open headphone is clearly superior in sound stage. Golden ears?

Very best,

Nov 28, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #18 of 27

Quote:
Oh, it is debatable sir. We're not taking about surpassing. We're talking close and equivalent. And saying they can't even match semi-open cans just makes me wonder what you've actually tried. I've tried many headphones that are semi-open that did not even have the sound stage of the Denon or SRH940 for example. So yes, it's debatable.

Totally agree.

Nov 28, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #19 of 27

Quote:

Oh, it is debatable sir. We're not taking about surpassing. We're talking close and equivalent. And saying they can't even match semi-open cans just makes me wonder what you've actually tried. I've tried many headphones that are semi-open that did not even have the sound stage of the Denon or SRH940 for example. So yes, it's debatable. Making something into an all or nothing approach here is really odd. I'm only being critical about it since you were trying to make reviews of headphones and trying to get some to review when you're taking approaches like this. Consider it just constructive suggestion. Clearly we all just think what we think. But you're quite dismissive of the idea of sound stages actually being good in closed headphones. I'm truly confused how you can own the SRH940 and think a semi-open headphone is clearly superior in sound stage. Golden ears?

Very best,

I haven't heard the Denons so I won't comment on that. I currently own the DT880 (semi-open), HD600 (open) and used to own the SRH940 (closed). Soundstage in closed are good but not great. I get rid of the SRH940 because of its smaller soundstage and the lack of bass. People have different standards of what is good or not. My ears may be different but I don't think it has an affect of hearing soundstage. Maybe age is an element. Golden ears? No, just different.

Auditions based on muscle memory is not very effective so you can disregard that if you wish. It's like listening to a conversation. After a short while, you tend to lose some of the words said but you still remember what the group talking about.

Nov 28, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #20 of 27
If you want see a huge/fantastic soundstage for a closed headphone, try w1000x, better than many open headphone.

Nov 28, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #22 of 27

Quote:
Is it anything like the HD800?  

You compare a closed headphone with the most fantastic soundstage available for a open heaphone, its not fair.

Nov 28, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #24 of 27

Quote:
What about the HD600? It's almost half the cost of the W1000x though.

Personnally, i prefer w1000x soudstage much more than HD600, imo.

Nov 28, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #25 of 27

Quote:

Personnally, i prefer w1000x soudstage much more than HD600, imo.

Thanks for that. I guess I'll have to audition them some time next year. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #26 of 27
I'd recommend the Sennheiser HD598.  Doesn't really need an amp, but does better with one.  Great all rounder that works very well with pop, and plays nice with most other genres of music.  Glasses haven't been an issue with these as well.  In fact they could clamp a bit more since I occasionally have them slide off my head. 

Nov 28, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #27 of 27
My Pro 900's are closed but they have a nice soundstage. I guess the S-logic stuff helps a lot. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back