Help looking for a good printer, Please...
Sep 8, 2006 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gordolindsay

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking for a good all-in-one printer, meaning printer, scanner, & copier. I went to the store the other day just to look at them and ended up buying one based on the CC employee. I left it sealed and decided to do some homework to find that many people were displeased with it and were not impressed. The printer that I bought was the HP 3210.

I also looked at an Epson printer while I was there, I think the model # is the Stylus CX4800, not positive but I think that's the one. I also looked at the HP 4180 which seems to get descent reviews so that one has peaked interest. I also see alot of the Canon printers get good marks also.

What I need is something that prints fairly quickly, does a good job with photo scanning, and descent copier. I'd say photo scanning is most important along with print quality, then print speed, and copying is not a top priority.

I'd like to keep this under $200 if that's possible.

Sep 9, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the reply, Alu.

How is the scanning quality of that printer? I've looked at that one quite a bit but my wife thinks it's more buisiness oriented than say family photo oriented, is that true?

Sep 9, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordolindsay
Thanks for the reply, Alu.

How is the scanning quality of that printer? I've looked at that one quite a bit but my wife thinks it's more buisiness oriented than say family photo oriented, is that true?

Oh, well I don't plan on using it for photos or anything like that anyways, I do use it for my university work. I haven't used the scanner yet, only for copies, which work of course without the need of a PC, and are absolutely great. I *heard* that it was a pretty decent photoprinter, but you might want to read some reviews for that.

Sep 9, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
I bought myself the Canon PIXMA MP500 (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1887779,00.asp) for only 150€ new (special promotion), which is an amazing all-in-one printer. Very fast and a decent quality.

i'm gonna get this one too when i have some money. for some reason i gave away my mp360 when it stop printing black, and now i need to scan so bad.

i'm interested in it mainly because of the ink cost. while a lot of printers are good, i research their ink cost before hand, and a lot of ink these days are ridiculously expensive. there is a website where you can get the mp500 ink for only $5.

reviews said the scanning quality is the lower point of the canon, not that great. i didnt think it was too great for my mp360 either. but a stand alone scanner shouldnt be that expensive, also they have the ability to scan 3.5 photos. i dont know if these multiphuntional printer can do that.

one thing you must know about canon ink, not popular = not all models of their ink can be easy found in stores. you might have to buy online.

the mp500 is designed for family. because i've tried their older version mp360 and mp390, very easy to use.

i heard that ink for laser printers last very long though, someone educate me on this.

Sep 9, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
I bought myself the Canon PIXMA MP500 (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1887779,00.asp) for only 150€ new (special promotion), which is an amazing all-in-one printer. Very fast and a decent quality.

I've set up a couple of folks with this printer, and it is indeed quite good. I can't comment too much to the scanning quality, but photos look great, and copies just fly out at warp speed. Plus, it looks much nicer than most typical printers, and the LCD interface is very useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back