HELP! Looking for $400 or less bassy IEM!
Jan 3, 2014 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bartlett

Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I am looking for a basshead IEM for $400 or less. I have owned the Sony XB90EXs and they were pretty good, but with less midbass than expected, recessed mids, and some sibilance in the treble. I can honestly say that the only two things the 90s did really really well were in the subbass and clarity area--there was never any muddiness. However, considering the recessed mids, it wasn't a very intimate experience and I constantly found myself trying to adjust the mids to appease my tastes. Sadly, they ran into an accident with a friends dog, so I now need some new "audiophile" IEMs really soon!

Prior to the Sony's I had the JVC FXT90s and they were great, maybe even better than the XB90EXs from what I can remember, just without the extra bass. 

Now I am in the market for headphones similar to the XB90EXs, but with a higher budget. I really want a very engaging and fun sound. I have been looking at the Sony XBA-H3s very closely but am a bit disconcerted after hearing some of the negative comments about it. The only other contender seems to be the Sennheiser IE80s. However, I am neither completely sold on either of the the two. Thus, I need some help...

Any opinions on the IE80s or the H3s? Otherwise please recommend some IEMs that fit my criteria! Also, please keep in mind that I want at least average isolation so I can use these on the train, plane, etc. I also listen to mainly R&B, Rap, and Rock/Pop. Thanks!

Jan 4, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 4
I haven't looked at more recent IEM's but the Shure SE535s that I bought a few years ago has a very good deep and punchy bass (compared to my etymotic ER4Ps) and should be around your price point. I use them with a iPod touch and listen to a lot of rock (with some alt, jazz, and classical).

I hope this helps,
Mark

Jan 4, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #4 of 4
I haven't looked at more recent IEM's but the Shure SE535s that I bought a few years ago has a very good deep and punchy bass (compared to my etymotic ER4Ps) and should be around your price point. I use them with a iPod touch and listen to a lot of rock (with some alt, jazz, and classical).

I hope this helps,
Mark

Thanks for the recommendation! However, after reading some reviews it seems lacking in subbass and not the best in terms of price per performance ratio. They are a bit over my budget as well. I feel like the Sony XBA-H3s would suit me better, being $100 cheaper too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back